Starter Linden house will not change

Daz Karas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

After several years with a free account, I took the plunge and got a paid one with a 512 tier.  I got a free Linden House that has a control panel by the door -- and I click it to change the house, and I choose the new house and the finishes change - floor and maybe wall colors, etc - but not the house itself.

The house is always one type of house, the first one in the 8 layout choices, not any of the rest of the 8 that are available through the control panel -- I can see all 8 and choose them and then click the Apply button but nothing happens - the floor color/material may change but the house does not!

What am I doing wrong? :-)

I have never had a linden home but it is my guess from posts here that you PICK the type of house that you want (hence folks waiting for a certain popular style house for awhile) and THEN you an change things WITHIN that style.

The new Horizon interface let's you pick between homes but it is not a starter home, just a Linden Lab designed home and will cost more than your free 512 :D

I think I picked something during the sign-up process... I don't remember.  But now the control panel shows me 8 choices for houses and none of them work --- the house I'm in has a extended room that floats above a pool -- lol, so stupid.

But there's a choice for a house with a 2nd floor roomy balcony and I choose it but nothing happens!

I'm pissed already!  :-)

The control panel is only to change various elements of the house you selected when you first obtained your Linden Home.  In order to select a different style of house, you need to abandon the current house first.  Then log into your dashboard and start the home selection process.  You can select up to 5 different homes in a 24 hr period.  That should help in getting one of the other homes.

Good luck!

Daz Karas wrote:

I think I picked something during the sign-up process... I don't remember.  But now the control panel shows me 8 choices for houses and none of them work --- the house I'm in has a extended room that floats above a pool -- lol, so stupid.

But there's a choice for a house with a 2nd floor roomy balcony and I choose it but nothing happens!

I'm pissed already!  :-)

Pissed at whom?

You will need to abandon your current home, then go back to your web dashboard and go through the process again for selecting a linden home.  When you are on the linden home page, after you select the theme you want (meadowbrook, tahoe, elderglen, etc), the next step (step 2) is to choose which house design you want in that theme.  You can click on each design's picture and get more details about that design.  Also, be sure to click the "View all houses" link if it's showing, to make sure that you have a chance to see all available designs for the theme you selected. 

Daz Karas wrote:

At the coders! If they show me 8 choices for a house, they should have made it possible for me to get the house I choose!

That's so simple!

Yes it's very simple... you GOT the house you choose... that you don't like it now is nobody else to blame..

simply get another one

abandon this parcel and pick a new one.

I may have gotten the house I initially chose, but now I click the control and see 8 options and none of them work.

Why are those options there when I can't choose them?  Where does it say that I have to abandon the house I initially chosen so I can choose a different house?

I've been searching all over where I am, and I still can't find a "abandon house" option anywhere.

Where is the "Abandon House" option? if that option is so important, why isn't it visible after clicking the control panel of the house?

Coders are usually stupid... I know, I have a couple of coding degrees.

Daz Karas wrote:

I may have gotten the house I initially chose, but now I click the control and see 8 options and none of them work.

Why are those options there when I can't choose them?  Where does it say that I have to abandon the house I initially chosen so I can choose a different house?

If you are talking about the options that appear when you click "Complete Texture Sets", choosing one of should re-texture your existing house with the floor, wall, exterior, etc., textures of the option you selected, after clicking on the option image and then clicking the "apply" button.  

It will not change the structure of the house to a different design - it applies the complete texture set from another design onto your house's design. 

Daz Karas wrote:

I've been searching all over where I am, and I still can't find a "abandon house" option anywhere.

Where is the "Abandon House" option? if that option is so important, why isn't it visible after clicking the control panel of the house?

Coders are usually stupid... I know, I have a couple of coding degrees.

you are at least here since 2010, thats when you registered in the forums, i think it's not that strange when people here expect you have at least some basic knowledge about sl.

Daz Karas wrote:

Why are those options there when I can't choose them? [...]

I've never had to deal with any Linden home, but if it's really true that the control panel offers options that don't do anything, yeah, that's a pretty failed UI (even by SL standards, which are necessarily pretty low because LSL is crippled to contain abuse potential).

FWIW, it seems the new Horizons structures are capable of being swapped on-site from their scripted control panels, so maybe this is something the Moles learned over the years.

That still leaves the question of whether any of these builds are worth swapping to. Actually, that's another improvement with Horizons: now you can just nuke all supplied structures and Bring Your Own Build to the parcel. Those Horizons sims, however, are still generating crazy high auction prices.

They are generating crazy high auction prices, but who is paying it? Its the same people who buy up all the adult land on Zindra and try to sell it for crazy prices: Land Barons. But thats fine, they pay their tier to LL so everyone is happy.

I personally think LL should revamp mainland by changing all the General sims to Mature, and all Mature sims to Adult. Then they could create an all new all General rated continent for the prudes to live on.

I think a dozen sims would easily satisfy that demand.

:)

Kinda summarizing the answers from earlier:

• In the Linden Home control panel located in world,  There is 3 catagories of controls.
  1.  'Accessory Controls'  - not applicable in this answer - but thats to turn on the lights, lock the doors, etc
  2.  'Complete Texture Sets' -  that lets you choose with one click -  texture (paint) combos for the home elements.   The walls, doors, floor, etc.
  3.  'Home Detail Textures'  - that lets you pick texture (paint) for individual element catagories.  Walls, then doors, then floors, etc

Your confusion is this:  in the 'Complete Texture Sets' section,  Pictures of each Theme of house  (the boxy, the fantasy, the cabins, etc)  are shown in the User interface.  But Note that each house type has a different Texture Set in the photo.

So to change the model of house:   That is done Via the Webpage for Linden Home land selection.

• Inside of SL
  1. MAKE SURE TO PICK UP ANY NO COPY ITEMS
  2. Open about land
  3. Abandon land
  •  From Dashboard (user account webpage)
  1. Log in to Linden Home Selection Webpage
  2. Select a Theme
  3. Select a House Type
  4. Cross fingers for luck that the neighbors will not have a lotta particle poofers
  5. Click the Next, and next and next and get assigned a new house

KathrynLisbeth,

Thank you for the detailed instructions!  The new house is even closer to the sea now and no obnoxious neighbors with weird structures around :-)

If any other newbie is wondering where the "About Land" is, it's under the World menu item.

[edit] Also, the account dashboard can be reached from the Me menu item.[/edit]

Have a good one :-)

• 2 months later...

This has been helpful, as I am thinking of taking the "plunge" also and signing up for a premium account.  I don't want a Linden home, I have one of my own and a sky box too.  How do I get land to put my home on and space to put my skybox?  Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.