Mouse Recommendations for Hunting Please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While hunting at Beholder it has become apparent I will not be able to keep up with a prey's constant changes in direction using the mouse I have. At Beholder the Hunter and Hunted roles are fixed. But if I go up against panther girls in the gorean sims where predator and prey roles are not fixed, I know with this set up I will end up being the prey, not the predator. Please recommend a gaming mouse with which it will be easier to track moving targets, and changes in direction. What I have now is the standard three button optical mouse.

In SL I often play a kitten. Who better than a kitten too give you hunting mouse recommendations?

The main is to keep your head low and wriggle your tail end side-to-side as you size them up.

Hiding under the couch in wait helps a lot and has the bonus of being able to swipe at any human feet walking past then pull your paw back unseen.

When you so finally catch your mouse it is helpful to walk up to the human's shoes and drop it inside, so they too can learn to hunt. Humans are terribad hunters.

And for your nap after mouse hunting I recommend their keyboard highly. It's warm and springy soft, and their hands are right there for scritches and stroking.

But for hunting Panthers and not mice as your subject suggests, maybe the Razor Naga would help? It has 12 buttons on the side that can be assigned to keys, or even macros, that should be able to speed up targetting and evading if those are keyboard or gesture bound.

They are expensive, so I'd suggest you see if a friend has one you can borrow first. Also I personally find I can't reach the 7 - 12 keys.

Thanks for your suggestion. Since posting this I have made a tentative decision on the equipment below, and would appreciate any opinions regarding it:

Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Wired or Wireless Gaming Mouse http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse

Logitech G440 A low friction mousepad: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g440-hard-gaming-mouse-pad

I chose this hardware for its low friction and sticktion. What I do not understand is the spec where it says "Buttons: 6-11". This is hardware; How could it have a variable number of buttons between six and eleven?

Also since posting this question I have watched gorean combat videos on YouTube, and have see the combatant who took the video have a similar problem. I have also seen forum postings where the poster suspected that adversaries who were too good at tracking a target while they were running, or when the target was evading with back and forth movements, were suspected of cheating with automatic trackers.

This hardware will help because the set up I have now has a lot of both friction and sticktion. But I also know the hardware will not do it alone. Skill will also be required.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my G900

I has a variable number of buttons because there are inserts that can change the side buttons from one button to two.

I was disappointed that this G900 mouse does not have an Ubuntu driver. I therefore have little more functionalily from it than a standard three button mouse with wheel.

Each side of this mouse has a pair of buttons when the option to insert the plastic for those buttons is exercised. The xev command shows that a button on the left side triggers the same event as the similar button on the right side. This effectively reduces the number of buttons that have unique functions.

The three buttons behind the wheel on top did not trigger any event at all.

The wheel functions as three buttons. It can be pushed down, or to the left, or to the right. These do trigger three unique events.

The total of unique button functions I have is 7.

I see the Razor Naga also does not have Ubuntu drivers.

The Logitech low friction mouse pad has greatly reduced friction and stiction. Targeting is much easier now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.