What do you think is the best Mac configuration for SL?

valerie Inshan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

You are limited in the types of configurations with macs.  However, a quad core mac Pro may be what you are looking for.  You can expand to 8 or 12 core - but why?

You can use their ATI 5770 graphics or upgrade to the 5870 with 1GBmem on the card. Although state of the art I am not sure about its performance particular to SL.  I have not run any benchmarks.  

If you are able to spend the dollars on a 'luxury brand' machine like a mac, you may want to consider a lower end BOXX computer.  More bang for the dollars.

• Like 1

Not much choice on graphics cards but if I were you, I'd opt for the ATI Radeon HD 5870 over the 5770 anyday. It's worth the upgrade price in superior performance. The 5870 has almost double the number of Stream Processing Units (1440 to 800) and almost double the number of Texture Units (72 to 40). Skip the twin 5770 Crossfire option as Second LIfe makes very little use of twin cards and the 5870 is a cheaper upgrade anyway.

• Like 1

here's what I bought today... thanks to you and Storm!
iMac 27 pouces

Configuration

2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Clavier Apple avec pavé numérique (Français) & Guide de l'utilisateur (Anglais)
Magic Mouse
Country Kit

I wish you well with your new Mac Val when it arrives but not sure what I did, as when you said you were going for the most powerful Mac I though you were opting for a Mac Pro which has graphics cards options including the ATI Radeon HD 5870. Anyway the ATI Radeon HD 5750 is a fine card with a performance about 15% less than the Mac Pro standard card, the 5770 and combined with a a 2.93GHz Quad-Core i7, you should have a fine machine and good performance with Second Life.

Lol, I know the feeling! Please tell us how it performs when you get it. Here's a link showing how much better the i7 option you chose is over the i5.
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/geekbench-27-inch-core-i7-imac-is-the-fastest-best-valued-imac-20091116/
Great review of the iMac 27 / i7 here too (with a slightly different gpu): http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363510,00.asp
:)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.