Jump to content
Zenrei

Does anyone here in Second Life still uses the classic avatar even after 4 years or more?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I have mesh but, I also have a lot of "legacy" clothes I love so the mesh body does not get used much to be honest legacy body with mesh head hands and feet looks good enough that people don't notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have a couple of appearances that still use the legacy avatar, even though they also have a good amount of prims and sculpties, too.

 

Just cuz something is fancy and new and fancily new doesn't mean the old can't kick butt no more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2018 at 7:51 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

You have never wanted to wear stockings over your tattoos?

try wearing stockings (clothing layer) over freckles (tattoo layer) the stockings only go up to mid thigh but the freckles disappear up to your waist. I don't bother with appliers any more (except for the freckles), it's fitted mesh for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

I have mesh but, I also have a lot of "legacy" clothes I love so the mesh body does not get used much to be honest legacy body with mesh head hands and feet looks good enough that people don't notice.

oh some people notice. 

if those legacy clothes include flexi prim skirts they just look sooo dated, and a lot of clothing layers look pretty bad too compared to mesh appliers.

lets hope you wear the mesh body when you are nude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 7:37 AM, Zeta Vandyke said:

Since this topic originates from 2016, normally its not relevant anymore. In this case though, I am very curious about the people who in 2016 said "no mesh for me" are still without mesh now in 2018 or maybe have changed their opinion?

when mesh started coming out i said it was a passing fad that wouldnt go anywhere. i didnt even get a mesh viewer untill i had to. I enjoyed watching all the box heads and donut bodies walking around.I got a mesh viewer when forced to but still didnt see the point of mesh

and then.....

my partner got a mesh body and after a few months of looking terrible compared to her i gave in and got a maitreya lara.

i managed to tweak it to match my system shape and bought a ton of applier clothes.

i even switched back and forth to my system body for a month or so but one day though, this is nuts you made the switch to mesh just do it full time so i did.

a few months later i ditched ALL my system clothes including flexi prims.

Am i 100% mesh now? No i still have my system head and my main hairstyle is flexi prim.

My partner has a mesh head but she lost her "look" in the switch.

she looks good but looking at old pics shes not as cute as she was.

I admit the system head isn't as smooth looking as a mesh head but I'm not ready to give my face  up yet.

All those die hards using the system body as long as the sliders stay midrange the body isn't too awfull looking but if you want a more exagerated shape mesh is the only way to go.

 

 

Edited by Phorumities
spelling, grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

if those legacy clothes include flexi prim skirts they just look sooo dated,

On the other hand mesh gown without any flexies does not look great. It has too stiff movement.
Excellent mesh gown with some well made flexies on the lower part will look absolutely stunning when moving, like dancing for example.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

On the other hand mesh gown without any flexies does not look great. It has too stiff movement.
Excellent mesh gown with some well made flexies on the lower part will look absolutely stunning when moving, like dancing for example.

oh i agree mesh gowns are generally not satisfactory because they bend stiffly with the legs. I've not noticed any with flexis as you describe but i've not really looked either.

I guess its like hair, blended mesh and flexi prims look very good, in fact I have a couple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phorumities said:

oh some people notice. 

if those legacy clothes include flexi prim skirts they just look sooo dated, and a lot of clothing layers look pretty bad too compared to mesh appliers.

lets hope you wear the mesh body when you are nude.   Nude? The Sims I hang out on don't allow nudity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a mesh bod and head but still have not mastered the applier thing, and, for all the reasons others have mentioned (large inventory for the legacy av, don't want to waste time spent, mesh bods too complicated and expensive) I usually have more fun playing with the legacy shapes I've painstakingly developed over the years. I like mesh, but I'm in noo hurry to completely switch over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Maitreya Lara mesh body but I kept all my old system clothing. I use it with a system avatar with a Catwa mesh head and Slink Bento mesh hands for a more updated look. There is still a lot of life left in well-made system clothing by Nicky Ree and other vendors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

I have a Maitreya Lara mesh body but I kept all my old system clothing. I use it with a system avatar with a Catwa mesh head and Slink Bento mesh hands for a more updated look. There is still a lot of life left in well-made system clothing by Nicky Ree and other vendors.

Nicky Ree!  Now there's a name I haven't heard for...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Nicky Ree!  Now there's a name I haven't heard for...

Lol Nicky Ree Bankrupted me back in 2009.  I had to have a gown a week:$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Lol Nicky Ree Bankrupted me back in 2009.  I had to have a gown a week:$

I just popped into her store in SL yesterday to see what's new. She hasn't dropped any of her prices for her older system clothing, which surprises me somewhat. It's lovely stuff, but she can't be selling very much lately with mesh taking over the grid (even for system avatars).

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not getting a Lara until BoM's on Firestorm, because then I will relish wearing my KZK blue Renamon again. And I know I will have clothes for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Lol Nicky Ree Bankrupted me back in 2009.  I had to have a gown a week:$

Only ONE per week?  :ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 8:22 AM, Phorumities said:

oh i agree mesh gowns are generally not satisfactory because they bend stiffly with the legs. I've not noticed any with flexis as you describe but i've not really looked either.

I guess its like hair, blended mesh and flexi prims look very good, in fact I have a couple.

Wild Orchid makes some mesh, applier, flexi gowns. Some are gorgeous. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few that are a combo of mesh and Flexy. if it is set right it still remains the best way  to make Skirts

 

(note when i said right was not talking so floppy that your skirts all drag behind you and you look like your wearing a pants outfit with a train or so many layers of flex that your ARC zooms up to over 300,000)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't seen my system body in years and haven't seen my system head in over two years maybe more. Don't want to see them either. I do miss flexi .. well done flexi in both hair and skirts. I do wish there was a way for SL to handle cloth physics, but I doubt that is something we'll ever see here in SL. So perhaps having a mix of very well done flexi with mesh is the only option we'll have for clothing or hair that really needs to sway with the movement of the avatar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Haven't seen my system body in years and haven't seen my system head in over two years maybe more. Don't want to see them either. I do miss flexi .. well done flexi in both hair and skirts. I do wish there was a way for SL to handle cloth physics, but I doubt that is something we'll ever see here in SL. So perhaps having a mix of very well done flexi with mesh is the only option we'll have for clothing or hair that really needs to sway with the movement of the avatar.

You ditched your flexi hair? Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phorumities said:

You ditched your flexi hair? Why?

Because I don't like a hairy chest while I dance. I do wear my tried and true Analog Dog curly hairstyle that sets just a little bit above my shoulders nearly all the time however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blush Bravin said:

Because I don't like a hairy chest while I dance. I do wear my tried and true Analog Dog curly hairstyle that sets just a little bit above my shoulders nearly all the time however. 

Is it the one called Baby? I still wear Lykke. I love it as much as when I bought it 8 years ago. in fact I have a whole series of hairs from very short to very long in case I ever decide to cut my hair then let it grow back out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

Is it the one called Baby? I still wear Lykke. I love it as much as when I bought it 8 years ago. in fact I have a whole series of hairs from very short to very long in case I ever decide to cut my hair then let it grow back out.

Harper. But I must tell you I have modded it to the point that it doesn't really look like the original. But it IS my fave go-to hair of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one of those that went whole hog, Belleza Jake Bento body, Catwa head and all. Got sick of fiddling constantly and returned to a basic mesh Jomo body. Still fiddle a bit with alpha layers but not a big deal unless I am constantly changing clothes daily for fashion which I also have up on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh. Classics and Flexi are rotten. They look old and unfinished, the flexi hairs I remember it looks like a punch of papers glued togheter with "too much realistic" hair textures. I'm glad the time has passed. Many artists collaborate in a revolutionary way towards SL. And some of then are still criticized by simple consumers who live buying unnecessary things and no talent at all to create a simple thing.

I think the only ones who still use the system body and head are those with limited budge or has other reasons or purposes to be in the game beyond appearance. Theres no reason to "go back" use the classic after you updated yourself to mesh. 

Edited by Lara Aulder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...