For all DJ's - What's the best microphone to use?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This question goes out to all DJ's.  I'd like to know what the best microphone I should consider getting?  I'm going to be a DJ soon and need to get a better microphone.  Now some will say that I should get a headset with a microphone, but I have to connect my headphone plug into my computers speakers in order to get loud enough sound and then the microphone plug won't reach to the back of the computer.

You don't have to use a headset.  My partner is a professional DJ in RL and uses a sepearate mic when he DJ's in SL.  He has a very high end professional mic that runs through a mixer so he can control the sound of his voice.  If you are a just a SL DJ you don't need to spend that kind of money though.

Using a seperate mic is ok if you use headphones.  Never use a mic and listen with speakers or your listeners will get an annoying echo or even feed back.

Buy the best mic you can afford that that cancels out the most background noise.  There is nothing worse then hearing kids crying, or a television going in the background when a DJ voices.  A good electronics store should be able to recommend some and allow you to test them.  You can always go to one to do this then shop around for the best price on the mic you decide on.

• Like 1

VanillaSunsets wrote:

You are just a ray of sunshine, aren't you!

Guess I found me another poster that I should better be ignoring. Ppl like you make me.... glad I am not you:catvery-happy:

You should be, but judging by the way you're following me around, I'd suggest you need more practice. No biggie, it's quite flattering to learn I'm living rent-free in someone's head :)

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2016 at 10:36 AM, Radium Soup said:

I like the Heil PR series stuff, but let's be honest. If you're spending 95% of your time illegally broadcasting music, does it really matter? In that case you might even want a crummy mic that replicates your voice poorly to make RL identification more difficult.

Can I just point out, unless you are seriously famous, nobody is going to be able to identify you,  even my own family that is in world can not figure out who I am when I'm dj'ing and I use a whole separate account.  had to physically call my mother and point out that it was me at one point.  so don't spread silly fud.

On 04 December 2016 at 4:36 AM, Mitchell Indigo said:

This question goes out to all DJ's.  I'd like to know what the best microphone I should consider getting?  I'm going to be a DJ soon and need to get a better microphone.  Now some will say that I should get a headset with a microphone, but I have to connect my headphone plug into my computers speakers in order to get loud enough sound and then the microphone plug won't reach to the back of the computer.

Best microphone to use for a DJ?

NONE!

The DJ's job is to change the record at the end of the song, nothing more...

• Like 1

... and ask for tips.  Tip the host.  Tip the dancers.  Tip the gesture spamming fruitcake with the employee tag that thinks she's the hostess

BTW, I utterly despise the phrase "linden lovin'"  

/me looks at her empty coffee cup.
Sorry for the negativity there.  I'll be better after this thing is full .. and then empty again.

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

... and ask for tips.  Tip the host.  Tip the dancers.  Tip the gesture spamming fruitcake with the employee tag that thinks she's the hostess

BTW, I utterly despise the phrase "linden lovin'" 

/me looks at her empty coffee cup.
Sorry for the negativity there.  I'll be better after this thing is full .. and then empty again.

Nuuuuu, it's the Host's job to gesturebate and beg...

While the actual job of making sure there is witty banter and laughs and giggles goes to the professional contest entrant who's way way more talented than the damn host or the damn dj, and works on the prospect of making a few hundred L$ out of the clubs themed contest... Assuming the DJ and Hst dont rig it to pay their friends, alts or themselves.

I just use a decent headset. I also don't get on the mic a huge amount. People are there to hear music, be able to make live requests, and chat with their friends, not listen to me blather on. I also don't have a trained 'radio voice' so it really isn't that big a deal. You could do worse than one from Shure or similar. The stand or boom you use to hold it is just as important as the mic itself. Bear in mind that the average SL user is probably not going to be listening on particularly good speakers or headsets so there's no real reason to go nuts with this. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.