Help with my son.

Benson Gravois

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have to agree with Alwin. I doubt a platform like SL is suitable for a 4 yr old. Sure, to sit on your lap for a few minutes, taken you are in an area suitable for a kid. 

The rides and amusement parks in SL are not build for a RL 4 yr old, the are build for residents that RP a kid or teens that are allowed in SL.

You kid will have enough time later on to explore a platform like this, for now he is much better of with RL toys or a picturebook. If you insist he/she plays games, get a Nintendo or a PS. Those were meant for kids in that age.

In my yrs in SL I came across more ppl that had a too young kid on their lap while playing SL, used to hear them on voice chat. A lot of times they did this coz otherwise the kid would go do "bad" things coz they were too busy playing SL and not attending to what a child needs. Attention from a parent that isn't focused on SL.

Not saying at all this is true in your case but I know this happens...

While it may be 'harmless' now that your son is young enough he can't read, and I assume you don't let him hear people voice, what will happen when he is six and starting to learn to read?  What if you are in one of these places and something is said that is inappropriate for a child to read?  Children are not allowed in SL.  You are riding on the edge of a violation of the TOS now and not being fair to the adults in SL that doen't expect children to be observing them.  What if he wants to control the avatar?  That would definitely be against the TOS, even if he is sitting on your lap.

If I were you, I'd break the habit now when he is young enough to be directed to other things for his amusement.  Maybe even something educational by way of teaching his letters and numbers to him.

Benson Gravois wrote:

I have a four year old son in real life that likes to sit on my lap and "play" second life with me. He likes to go to amusement parks and go on the rides. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or LMs for amusement parks or even other places he might enjoy?

Get off the computer and take him to some real life parks and amusement parks. Then he won't have to climb up onto your lap all the time just to get some attention.

Food for thought. The reason LL doesn't allow child players in SL isn't because SL is some inappropriate sex dungeon (though it certainly can be). The reason why we see the number 13 as a general internet cutoff has to do with the American legal system and how information for children has to be handled online. In order to have child members for a website, user data needs to be handled and stored in a special way, and few websites that require member registration care to deal with that additional bother.

While I agree that parents should be mindful of their children when they (the parents) are online, I don't buy this rhetoric that a 4 year old sitting on the parent's lap is a TOS violation or that this is somehow uniquely inappropriate.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.