Sl keeps crashing my computer. None of the viewers help with this.

MeiLan Collins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

If your Screen is going black like you stated above in comments you need to Check your Video card fans and clean and make sure in working order. CPU also

If it was crashing windows it would restart the PC or do directly to blue screen

Also another thing to think about is possible Failing Power supply. I have seen a weak power supply cause black screen when running intense video programs/games.

I go the same problem with several viewers including the official one.

CPU runs hardly at botu 80% in average and GPU isnt even on full load either on both performance and fan speed nor memory usage is exceeding with roughly 500 MB left from usually 2.1GB free memory.

Since the last rollout it happens that SL crashes again mainly if I cam about a lot and there is a few avatars - 8+ - present.

It usually crashes without any warning.

Before the rollout it was running fairly stable and crashes were a lot less frequent.

Even did a Cache clean in advance and after just in case some of the scripts might have been influenced but it didnt help either.

So again clearly a fault here I presume on the server side for one but also the client seem to have some timing problem when requesting stuff from the server. Seems to me its some synch problems they got as memory does not seem affected. be nice if it would through at least the error message somewhere, but it does not seem to be caught here.

Your situation sounds different than this persons.

Dees your screen go black also? I think you just have texture cache crashing. Open the cache folder and delete everything inside. Also helps to change cache location to your own created cache.

I had severe crashing after last rollout and just manually cleared everything and things went well after

Actually it wasn't a cache problem, I clear that on each install usually.

This was actually a settings problem I had and finally after lot of tweaking and testing it seems to have solved. Crashes are a lot less, fortunately.

I run an ATI Raden HD4870 and it needs to have all possible Application set options to be application controlled and the Cataclyst AI disabled.

This solved it after I tried it on my old NVIDIA 9800 which showed the same problems.

It seems to me that there is a problem reading the settings in and set SLs settings somehow in the code so it seems the Card and the software disagree which causes the crashes in the end.

Pretty happy now and as I said - it runs and a lot more stable.

On LotRO client and other games i hadn't had this much problems with setting the cards features in the driver.

That's what caused me some of the troubles why SL is misbehaving here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.