Blood Splatter Effect on hit (weapon)

Pete Chandru

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I recreated me a rusty pipe as useable weapon. Now I also would like to have the effect of blood when i hit people.

For example the Abranimation Karate Hud uses blood splatter effects when u hit people with a body part. I would like to get an exact same script into the pipe. I tried to use the nonmodify blood splatter script from this karate Hud into my pipe, but it doesnt work. Can anybody help please?

The way that's often done is with particles. You have to be a fairly good artist to make a few textures that you can use for the job, and then you'll probably want to use more than one rotating particle generator to get a convincing effect. Visit the Particle Lab in world to get a feel for what's possible.

You might also be able to do something convincing by creating temp rez mesh "splatter" objects that take off with random velocities, but that would be a lot more work. And it wouldn't work at all in places where you don't have permission to rez things.

If you really want to use that specific script, your only hope is to convince the creator to sell you a custom version.  Good luck.

Collision events in a script in an attachment fire when the avatar collides with something, not when the attachment does.     The attachment is phantom, anyway, so it can't collide with things, and the server doesn't know anythiing about what an animation is making your avatar do -- it thinks you are just standing there.

The usual way to determine if a melee weapon has hit someone is to fire off a sensor (with a very short range and very narrow cone) or maybe llCastRay, and to count it as a hit if you detect your opponent.

That's the mechanism I'd use to decide whether or not to trigger blood particles, too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.