Can Linden Labs enforce a region to cut back on the prims they use

HarleyRainn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Many of visit a certain region to hang out not literally if us ladies wish to stay clothed, is using 12,000 prims give or take a few, why must they do this, we have suggested to the person that runs this to cut back on these prims over the years and still will not answer, 12,000 prims on top of the 30 people lot of us tend to crash, we do wish to be there have a great time so can Linden Labs enforce to cut back on prims if many suggest to do so

UPDATE: Why do we even have these blogs, we just want simple solutions simple answers all we ever get is answers making us feel stupid and yes we do have the graphics at LOWEST

5 answers to this question

In two words, hell, no!

Whoever owns the region can do pretty much what she likes with it, and that includes putting out as much content as the region will support.   It also includes banning anyone who annoys her, so you might want to be careful.

If your computer is struggling to reder all the content, I suggest you dial down your graphics settings.   Or get a more powerful GPU (graphics card).  Or find somewhere else to hang out.

• Like 2

I think it's a bit presumptuous for you to think a sim owner shouldn't use all the prims they have available or that LL should force them to do so, especially when the sim owner is generous enough to allow to go there. They are paying dearly for those prims and have every right to use them all if they want.  12,000 used out of 15,000 available prims is not high at all.

It is avatars not prims that cause the most lag in a sim.  Those of you that go there can help with lag a lot if you don't go dressed to the nines and keep your ARC low.

• Like 3

Your post suggests that you have a misunderstanding of a couple of basic things.

• As Innula and Amethyst say, the landowner has every right to use her land's capacity to handle objects in any way she likes.
  • Objects themselves don't cause lag
  • Objects that you and your friends are wearing do not count against the land's capacity.  This is a good thing, or I would not be able to visit my friend at her 175-prim Linden Home while wearing my 250-prim hair and 300-prim jewelry!
  • TEXTURES on objects can cause plenty of viewer lag.  The region runs just fine, but your personal experience can become very unpleasant.  Land owners and object creators should take care to use as few high-resolution textures (1024x1024) as possible.
  • Stuff you and your friends are wearing can cause HUGE amounts of viewer lag.  This is why LL introduced the new Avatar Complexity functions, allowing people to trade off performance for accurate rendering of highly complex avatars.  Where you set your Maximum Complexity slider, and how complex you make your own avatar, are completely up to you.  However, I am finding that, for me, keeping my slider at about 250K lets me see most people normally, and keeping my own complexity under 100K or so lets most people see me.

Regarding complexity:  TRY ON DEMOS!  A lot of older content has very high complexity numbers.  I recently bought a stunning Las Vegas Showgirl type gown made in the classic way (non mesh), and when I put it on my complexity went up well over 500,000!!!  Properly made Mesh clothing and attachments tend to have a much more reasonable complexity.

As long as they are within TOS and CS Linden Lab will not enforce how a Land Owner uses their prims.

BUT, You are able to do this yourself.

Right click the ones you don't think are needed and choose "derender" you will be given the options "temporary" and "permanent" The first will remain until you log out or teleport out, the latter will remain removed forever.

You have complete freedom to adjust the landowners place as you like using this method. Your changes are for you only, other people will need to choose what they keep and remove themselves.

I have to give credit to this Harleyrainn, I have noticed a pattern in these blogs and answers, these answers seem to be downright hurtful at times, these people assuming just want the solutions as easy as possible and yet I sometimes will read answers like they treat these people like they are 'not there' Perhaps we should be a bit more forgiving as some of these people like myself have the basic knowledge of logging into SL or checking our email every week, at the end of your day try and remember to be nicer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.