Cool movie theaters showing legal movies? (public domain, machinima)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Ohai! Since the Month of Machinima begins in May (mmm),  The Linden Lab Editorial Team (including me) is looking for cool movie theaters to check out inworld, and consider for inclusion in our Destination Guide... so other Residents can come and enjoy!

The one big thing to keep in mind is: LEGAL MOVIES ONLY like public domain or your own machinima — we don't want the MPAA bustin' down anyone's doors. :O So please share SLurls (what?), and/or if you prefer, submit directly to the DG.

UPDATE: For the current list, check out http://secondlife.com/destinations/media/

We have a cinema in 1920s Berlin, BUT it is in the middle of our roleplay sim, so visitors must follow our dresscode and need to find it first.

Mind you, it is on Unter Den Linden and we have maps and a taxi service, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Our cinema is a reproduction of a 1920s one and plays original and legal movies from that era.

At the moment you can come and enjoy Faust - Eine deutsche Volkssage from 1926.

Very exciting and dramatic movie!

We get new original movies every now and often, all 1920s.

So a delight for everyone who loves classics.

Snapshot_098.jpg

Snapshot_101.jpg

Thanks Torley!

I wish I could make better snapshots, our flickr group has many more made by people who are better at that then me;

http://www.flickr.com/groups/20sberlin/

Let me know if you want a tour.

This sunday we have Relaxed Rules day, for 24 hours human avatars with 1920s outfits are not the only ones allowed to explore Berlin.

So if you want to run around in one of your more amazing looks, feel free sunday :)

• 2 weeks later...

/me peeks at movie list. 

Wow! I'm chuffed! /does a discreet happy dance.

I didn't know BBC had a sim. I'll have to go and try it.  I love the Redrum. Very atmospheric!

There is a drive in cinema in The Wastelands. It took some doing to find it. It's on one corner of the Burnt Oak sim. (Moderate rated.)

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Burnt%20Oak/199/215/81   This lands you on top of their snack bar.

Burnt Oak Drive In @ The Wastelands small.png

The Wastelands for anyone who hasn't heard of it, is a very old collection of sims. It's a post apocalyptic, bombed-out world. There is roleplay or you can just tour the sims. I hadn't been here in ages.

Burnt Oak Drive In with movie on small.png

It seemed to have original videos or Machinma on screen.

There's a group along with the cinema for discussing film. "Burnt Oak Drive-In Enthusiasts."

And another drive-in theater. This one is like the Jetsons. Many people have been to Inspire Space Park. This is the same people but with a drive in theater. It's at terrain level next to a road. I spoke with the owner, and they said this cinema shows old science fiction movies, mostly from the 1950s and 1960s. They personally checked and made sure the stream works now.

Inspire Space Beach and Drive In Theater.png

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Shinda/106/191/26  (G rated)

If I find more I will post again. I hope this post was not too long. I have problems being wordy when detail might be necessary.

Awesomest place is of course the non-mainstream movie theatre in Effington Wood called Sidestream Cinema. They have a selection of alternative views and conspiracy theories that you can watch for free inworld.

Also, you are welcome to join the group there to discuss things that are not exactly mainstream or political correct.

You can go there by clicking here! Yes - it is located 911 meters above the ground :smileyvery-happy:

Felix

• Lindens

@Melian I'm no lawyer — but in short, if you're aware you have all lawful rights to play the movie (which may vary depending where you are in the world). For example, creative works in the public domain, or you entirely created the movie yourself. EDIT: I should also add there are lots of works under more open licensing like Creative Commons.

• 1 month later...

Just for the 8th birthday of Second Life, we've made a little copy of our 1920s Berlin cinema right in our plot of the amazing SL8 super region.

Here you can see a great movie about Berlin in 1927 while listening to our 1920s music stream.

And here there is no 1920s dress code and furries, tinies and everyone else is welcome too.

https://secondlife.com/destination/sl8b-the-1920s-berlin-project

• 2 months later...

New movie in the Asta for this month; Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922)

A 1922 German Expressionist horror film, directed by F. W. Murnau, starring Max Schreck as the vampire Count Orlok. The film is an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula! Very scary!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.