When a mesh body is purchased, is the classic body normally included?

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

agentronin wrote:

I mesh body requires that it be worn by a classic body. The classic body is hidden by the mesh bodies alpha layer. Is it expected then that when a mesh body is purchased the classic body it is to be worn by is normally included in the purchase?

You need to understand what "classic body" means. You always have that body. Its the standart thing your avatar consists off and which you never truely can erase or take off. Its always there, no matter how your avatar may look like. It consists of your shape, skin, eyes. Before people started to create mesh objects that could be used to artificially "replace*" that body, this term did not even exist. Its just there to draw an distinction between the two.

*If you are new to using mesh bodies, read a bit about them, because they are not actual equal replacements.

I started with the Emrys avatar which is Linden Labs supplied in the Inventory's Library. The demo mesh I am testing is attached to that Emrys avatar from Inventory => Clothing => Initial Outfits => Emrys. I do not know how to get rid of elements of that avatar I no longer need, such as its skin.

Is there a classic avatar, whether in the library, or sold elsewhere, that is best to use with mesh bodies?

agentronin wrote:

I started with the Emrys avatar which is Linden Labs supplied in the Inventory's Library. The demo mesh I am testing is attached to that Emrys avatar from Inventory => Clothing => Initial Outfits => Emrys. I do not know how to get rid of elements of that avatar I no longer need, such as its skin.

Is there a classic avatar, whether in the library, or sold elsewhere, that is best to use with mesh bodies?

There are no different classic avatars. All avatars are technically the same. All avatars consist of the same basic elements, which can never be erased, only replaced to fit your personal taste. Those elements are: Shape, skin, eyes, hairbase.

You CAN NOT get rid of any of those base elements, only replace them with something else. Another skin or another shape, but you can never have an avatar that doesn't has those elements somewhere (hidden or not) and it does not matter, so I don't know why you try to remove them. They do not influence how well your mesh body will work.

No, there is no avatar that is "better" to use with mesh bodies. They're all more or less the same in that way. 

To remove elements like clothing you don't need, right click the outfit folder and choose "Remove." That'll get rid of everything EXCEPT the four essential "building blocks" of your avatar, which cannot be removed, only replaced.

Keep in mind that those four pieces don't contribute in any significant way to rendering cost, lag, etc. There's absolutely no reason you have to take them off. 

Shape will be the main one of those four that influences your mesh body, and it always will. Without it - if if were possible to be without it - you'd be like a deflated balloon. Just skin. The shape is the bones, fat, and muscle that gives you...well, shape. Manipulating the default shape sliders - or buying a new shape - will change the look of your mesh body, so you can adjust it to something more pleasing to you eye if necessary. I recommend it - the basic shapes aren't all that great.

Skin matters a little, if your body didn't come with a mesh head as well. You need to find a skin with mesh body appliers to get the best match between your head and your body. Again, however, you don't REMOVE your skin - you just replace it. Without any skin (assuming you're using the default head with your mesh body) you'd just have a big gray blob for a head.

The other two parts have NOTHING to do with your mesh body. Although you can replace them, and might do well to do so, you don't have to, and they don't matter for a mesh body. 

agentronin wrote:

I do not know how to get rid of elements of that avatar I no longer need, such as its skin.

Skin, shape, eyes and hair base all influence the head and are very much used and needed with mesh bodies.

Newer mesh bodies tend to be something called fitmesh, which means they change based on the underlying SHAPE. So that shape can really change how a fitmesh body looks. The mesh body demo may come with an example shape to use. But you can also use any other shape, including one you make from scratch, one someone else made, or an existing one you've modified through the appearance sliders.

This has all become immensely complicated and overall the people of SL seem to be in the process of further complicating it exponentially. Hopefully in time we will also get better at helping new residents learn how to navigate their way through it all. If it feels overwhelming, don't worry about it. Take each step when you're ready and if you want to.

Getting a feel for the appearance sliders is time well spent IMO, whether you decide to invest in a mesh body or not. You can spend as much or as little time on it as you fancy, but it will help you understand more about how all of this works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.