Glowing... so much.... glowing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've been working on this island for a college I work at and I've been using a lot of different computers.  For some reason when I use this laptop a lot of random objects become really bright and they cease to glow.  When I use the program on other computers in our lab everything looks normal.  How can I stop the glow from glowing.

Go to your Advanced (CTRL+Alt+D) menu and choose Debug Settings.   From the pulldown menu, select RenderGlow and set it to FALSE. That will turn off all glow anywhere.  It will only affect what you see in your own viewer, but that's what you want.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Go to your Advanced (
CTRL+Alt+D
) menu and choose
Debug Settings
.   From the pulldown menu, select
RenderGlow
and set it to
FALSE
. That will turn off all glow anywhere.  It will only affect what you see in your own viewer, but that's what you want.

It might be what she wants and it might not. If she is building something for a university I am assuming she wants to see what most people will see while building. I remember when I was a newbie and I built my first thing in SL I was happy about my first made thing, it all went crashing down when a friend told me she couldn't see anything all she saw was a very bright glowing object, that is the day I learned there were other graphics settings, lol. 

Thanks guys.  I checked on the computers in the computer lab and sure enough their graphics was set to low.  From what I'm gathering from the rest of the conversation is that the objects actually have the glow.  I'm guessing I'm going to have to go in and change each specific objects properties so they don't do that.  This sounds like a fun point and click project.

George Orellana wrote:

It might be what she wants and it might not. If she is building something for a university I am assuming she wants to see what most people will see while building. I remember when I was a newbie and I built my first thing in SL I was happy about my first made thing, it all went crashing down when a friend told me she couldn't see anything all she saw was a very bright glowing object, that is the day I learned there were other graphics settings, lol. 

Yeah, that's true.  In a great many cases, though, the truly annoying glow happens when some bozo has turned on glow at maximum strength and it cuts through any object that has a 32-bit texture on it.  As you walk around, opaque textures block the glow. When there's an alpha-textured object between you and the glow, however, the ghastly radioactive aura hits you in the face again. It looks random, but it's really just a matter of which textures are in your line of sight.  If that's the issue, the only way to beat it is to kill the glow as I recommended.

thesandboss wrote:

Thanks guys.  I checked on the computers in the computer lab and sure enough their graphics was set to low.  From what I'm gathering from the rest of the conversation is that the objects actually have the glow.  I'm guessing I'm going to have to go in and change each specific objects properties so they don't do that.  This sounds like a fun point and click project.

That is correct. If you did not intend for the objects to glow then yes you will have to change that in each individual object. 

thesandboss wrote:

That happens.  People who work on computers with a low graphics setting overdo glow because they can't see it. It's like deaf people shouting because they can't hear themselves.  Unless you really want the radioactive effect, you should never set glow higher than about 0.1.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.