I'd like to propose a service with bots to record group chat. Is it ok with the TOS ? Disclaim need?

Maeva Anatine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It is often important for group owners to know what happened in their group chat during their absence. Griefers can login anytime, and we are not logged in any time !

Therefore, i'd like to propose a service to record group chats, tx to bot technology usage.

However, i'm concerned by the TOS and the CS that state recording is forbidden without consent. I understand why: this can be used for bad purpose.

I'd like to know what I could do to release my service and be inline with the TOS. I was thinking about telling the user of my service that they MUST indicate that the group chat can be recorded in the group description itself. Would that be enough ?

Edit: i followed Peewee's recommendation below, but unfortunately, people in this group are technical ones, knowing few about legal aspects... Therfore, i'm a bit stuck.....

4 answers to this question

Considering that logging chat (including IM/group) to textfile is a feature of the viewer, I can't see any issue with recording that chat 24/7 for personal use. Anyone idling in the group IM is effectively doing the same. I don't even think you'd need a disclaimer (though those on the worryful side may appreciate it!). If the chat's being logged to another system, such as a personal website or being copied into Notecards for distribution in-world, you may run into ToS hurdles. =]

Firstly I would say WTG to you for asking before releasing a product that you are aware may be controversial.

I would suggest that you go to the User Group meeting today at 12pm SLT & ask Andrew Linden, if anyone will know the answer he will. Details of the group and meeting location can be found on https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server/Sim/Scripting_User_Group

IANAL, etc., but I would think that language in the group description would be completely irrelevant to whether it was permitted or not.  My hunch is that this could only work with closed-enrollment groups where the member submitted a formal consent to have their chat monitored prior to being sent an invitation to the group, and that  those consent agreements would have to be retained.  Of course, such a group-invitation process would surely obviate much need for any logging service in the first place.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.