msi geforce 730?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How about an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750?

You can pick that card up pretty cheaply now and it gives good bang for your buck.

I have the 750 in my desktop system & have no problems running in Ultra graphics with shadows.

Note that I do have a faster processer then you though,  which will make a difference  (Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3491.93 MHz)).

pandorabellatrix wrote:

Hi guys! I'm about to purchase this graphic card in order to play sl:

msi geforce 730 4gb ddr3 128bit

Why would you buy something so obsolete when the current model is so cheap?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-02G-P4-6152-KR/dp/B01M64G435/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479201924&sr=1-3&keywords=gtx+1050

You can get them down to $90 if you shop around.

pandorabellatrix wrote:

I was checking my purchase order, it says 600W PSU but I disassembled my case and the label on the PSU says:
Micronics jp atx 350w/950w
I don't understand so what's the real power 350, 950 or 600W?

I just did a Google search for Micronics ATX power supply and started looking at the pictures. It seems this is a chinese made power supply with a misleading model number. Most sellers take the first number as the wattage, and ignore the second which is printed in huge numbers.

http://vencomperu.com/home/98-micronics-atx-20-4-pines-caja-jp-350w-950-04-conector-sata-4-ide-conector-4x2-p8.html has an exampleof this.

The JP would also be a hint this is trying to mislead people into thinking "Oh, a nice Japanese power supply".

Based on what most people sell this power supply as, and what most people selling other models of the Micronics (Made in China) power supply (like the 230W/650W) you have a 350Watt power supply.

The 950W model number is maybe an attempt to mislead you a little.

pandorabellatrix wrote:

aww bad treat. So how could I know my real wattage? Can I trust in it being around 600 W?

No, it's probably nowhere near 600w, and Bryce's 350w is likely about right. But that may be fine, as long as you choose a relatively recent model of graphics card. For example, I see recommended a minimum 300w power supply for some 1050 and 1050 Ti cards. In general, older generations of GPU drew more current and thus dissipated more heat with more fan noise, so there's a big price to pay for any "savings" from those old models.

(FWIW, the 1060 seems the current price/performance sweet spot, but it is quite a bit more money.)

What's your total budget to spend?

I wouldn't trust in that thing of a cheapskirt PSU at all, not even to put out those 350w. Especially if it is a couple of years old.

A 400w good quality brand power supply will be absolutely fine for a standard current gen gaming machine.
600w (of a good quality brand power supply) will only be needed if you know that your components do demand lots of power.

• 2 weeks later...

The minimum I recommend for SL is a GTX760. If you can, get a GTX 980. The Asus STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 can be gotten relatively cheap, and it is quiet. The GTX 980 can consume a lot of power when worked hard. You should add up all the power consumers and compare with you supply. If you do not have enough power I recommend Seasonic Snow Silent 750 Power Supply.

• 1 month later...

Older post, BUT many own an Intel i3...I do not advise a lower end card like the Nvidia GT 730...solely for SL use I'd try this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xlr8-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5711723.p?skuId=5711723

For SL & pc games:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xlr8-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5711724.p?skuId=5711724

Either one would work well with an Intel i3, decent 400+ watt power supply and approx. 8-12GB RAM (more is better now)

"I Love Simplicity"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.