my avatar won't move, it just stays in one place and kind of shakes

Mystik Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For some reason once the viewer loads up and all my avatar won't go anywhere. It just stays in one place and kind of shakes. When I try pushing the directional keys it rotates and such but that's about it. What's the deal? Is there a setting on my computer that's conflicting maybe?

Thanks for any help.

9 answers to this question

I hate it when that happens.  Usually it's when there's something else running on my computer, competing for the hard drive or for bandwidth.  It will happen sometimes if Microsoft or my Anti-Virus routine starts downloading an upgrade, or when some program starts a scheduled scan.  Sometimes, though, it happens for no discernible reason.  Like most of the problems that people have with SL, it happens because something in or close to your own computer is competing for SL's attention, and SL is a real attention hog.

• Like 1

Rolig is on to something. This will happen when there are bandwidth issues for whatever reason. You should be able to see this on your mini map from the grayish areas flashing, or turning, dark red. You should also be able to see whether this is the case in the performance panel (Ctrl+shift+1). The packet loss number is likely to be quite high more or less constantly (5-10% or thereabout).

Alto, just to verify. Try to run the test at http://www.pingtest.net/ a few times to check if your internet connection is OK.

- Luc -

I have precisely the same problem as Mystik Aeon but sadly none of the suggestions apply. I have been a resident for many years. I have at last upgraded my pc and there absolutely no chance of low bandwidth issues or somethign else running and taking up processor. I have tried logging off and one half a dozen or more times over two days and the problem is if anything getting worse. The first few times I rezzed fine and can turn around but not jump and not move. I tried clicking nearby "sit here" things and seemingly nothing happened but when next I logged on I had moved there.

The last few times I have logged on now I don't rezz and I am a white cloud.

I am thinking firewall or some security thing?

I tested broadband speed - its about the middle of the spectrum that my supplier predicts. I can easily run every other application. any suggestions that don't involve having no internet or crumbs behind the keys?

I only spotted your question by chance, so most people will probably miss it. I strongly suggest starting your own thread instead of pasting onto the bottom of someone else's ancient question.

When you repost the question, tell us the results of the ping test you did on your connection (See Luc's response, above). Bandwidth is only part of the concern. If your connection is being interrupted along the way so that you have high packet loss (anything over even 1% loss), you will suffer exactly the symptoms that you are reporting. Essentially, you may have a nice wide communication pipeline (bandwidth), but if there's a blockage in the line somewhere, information won't get through. You'll look like a fluffy cloud, you won't be able to move, and you'll crash spontaneously.

• Like 1

This started appearing for me today all of a sudden.

I can tell you one thing, it has jack **bleep** to do with bad internet speed or crumbs or any of the silly explanations given here by LL apologists. I have 0 server and client lag, my bandwith and everything else is also running ok. And it's not like SL is stuck. I can do anything I want in SL, including teleporting around without any issue. It's just that as soon as I try to move anywhere physically, the avatar freezes.

Even stranger, if I use sit to move to a distant spot; the moment I stand up I'm ported back towards the spot where I was originally frozen. This is NOT at all lag-like behaviour or anything of that ilk.

I've been bitten by that quirk in Firestorm too, Arinarose.  But I expect that after five years, the OP has either solved their problem or left SL :)

By the way, there IS a preference setting that will automatically disable Firestorm's movelock when you move.  Type "movelock" in the search bar in the Preferences window.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.