This is why SL will never be conventionally accepted:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Test to Find a True Second Life Resident:

Walk up to any stranger then hold aloft a plain white cue ball and tell them "This .. is a necklace."

This reminds me of being in drama classes at school; where the teacher had placed a hairbrush in the middle of where we all sat in a circle and told us that we had to take it in turns to imagine that it was anything except a hairbrush.  About half the class could only see a hairbrush, others saw a microphone, a saucepan, a javelin (! - that one nearly took a window out!!), a door handle, etc etc.

I'm a bit like squashy, in that I don't really build, and I'm more of an explorer I guess than anything else, with a very inquisitive mind, but what all of us has is our great open minds and imagination.

Test to Find a True Second Life Resident:

They are logged in.

That's it. Whether it's grandma that logged in, accidently stumbled to some obscure sim to find a memory game that she likes to log in once a week to play, or a Facebook denizen that found a non Facebook user and made a friend, or a builder or highly creative artist or someone that likes dancing ... you get the idea.

There are today reasons why Second Life may not draw or appeal to everyone. If there's a flaw then perhaps it's equally true that creators don't understand non-creators enough to create things/games/experiences that would get non creators to become more engaged and provide them with things that do appeal to them.

Then again, the internet isn't for everyone. Or iPads. Or console games. Or strawberry shortcake.

Defining who Second Life is for is a bit more difficult than cue ball necklaces, and putting people into neat little boxes. Especially when the box can be adapted, resized, reshaped and made of different materials.

Not sure what you're implying, but if you're reading any more into what I said than what I posted, you're off course. It was said at face value and nothing more.

If you want further explanation about that opinion, then ask a specific question and I'll be glad to answer that clearly and honestly.

There are loads of reasons why SL will never be "mainstream".  This isn't really an activity that will be embraced by masses.  Those of us who love it, love it but we are now and will always be a niche market.

The type of griefing that you speak of is the sort of thing that results from the "disposable" alt accounts that LL allows here.  As long as people can make dozens of anonymous free accounts, this will happen.

Most of them congregate in large public sandboxes and other such places and are relatively easily avoided.  Once someone leaves the sandboxes and the welcome areas such harassment becomes less common.  

Sadly, some abandoned parcels can be used by griefers due to the build and autoreturn settings.  If your "land" is near one of these, then you are pretty much out of luck and all you can do is AR (or file a ticket if that is an option).  LL will eventually get around to helping you out...eventually.

Hello Edfred,

Every rule or Policy in SL was created because LL asked "please do not do that" but some Residents will not listen.

What is considered Fair Use of system resources has yet to be defined.

I can assure you that every Abuse Report  is read.

Some improvements have been made. It's my opinion that hosting a public gathering area without the Host being present is a bad idea. If you cannot Host your own party, you shouldn't have one.

SL has an abundance of sequential analytical components.

Life isn't alway fair because select individuals intentionally make it not fair. It is not a random generation of unfairness.

Atmosphere is predominantly relative to the Region you inhabit. Migration is a practical remedy for situations involving an hostile environment. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.