Script disappears from item and takes note cards with it

Ayden Sivocci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First time scripting, so I'm probably missing something obvious. Google and searching here hasn't given me much in the way of results. Trying to use open collar scripts, except when I put them in an item,  they quickly disappear. I tried importing from where I downloaded them, and so so copying the same scripts from a collar received from a vendor in world,  which works fine. What am I missing? Why do the scripts immediately delete themselves when I drop them in a prim? 

It's impossible to say without seeing the script, but the best guess is that they were designed to do that.  Scripters will commonly write helper scripts that are only needed for a brief instant when an object is rezzed. Sometimes, they are there for product security, to verify that they have been rezzed by the right person.  Sometimes they are meant to set some physical parameters or to identify a "home" position for the item. In any case, once the script does its job, it self-deletes to save memory or to make it impossible for someone to take a working copy.  If you can open the script, look for a line somewhere that says something like

llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());

and comment it out.  If you can't open the script, you weren't meant to.  That's probably why the scripter designed it to vanish.

Thanks for the reply! They don't delete from inventory, just the time. I can open and edit the scripts as well. It's odd, because if I Rex the collar with the scripts it came with, of course it works fine. If I use the scripts that appear to be identical that were downloaded and imported,  by me, from Github, (linked from the authors site),  they delete. I suppose I could just modify the collar, as it's full perms (the whole idea is the scripts are under a GNU license, meant to be used in whatever someone designs). 

I could post some of the scripts but they're rather long

Looks like all the scripts have a function called "FailSafe" which checks for permissions on the object, the inventory, (has to be full perms all around) and the correct naming of the scripts. If any of these isn't set as intended the scripts will delete itself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.