Total crash on Mac after graphics card change

Timjw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello. My Mac has never run SL particularly well, but a month ago the graphics card failed totally, creating a splurge of blurred lines whenever most apps were accessed. Apple have now changed the graphics card twice under guarantee.

Now everything else on my Mac seems to run ok, but when I try to log into SL, I get a total wipe-out; the grapics go beserk, there are blurred lines and the screen flashes on and off. If I restart it all works fine. 

So I cannot access SL at all at the moment. I have tried the SL viewer and Firestorm with the same results.

Here's the basic spec:

2011 Mac Book Pro, 10.9.5, 2.2GHz Intel Core i7

Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

If anyone has any ideas to offer besides 'get yourself a new laptop' which, of course, is the answer I'd choose if I had any money I'd be very grateful!

5 answers to this question

Well, Rolig and Alwin are correct when it comes to Windows.  But I am not so sure that applies in your case, since you say you're using a Mac.

But I am puzzled.  Your specs say you're using Intel HD Graphics 3000.  This is a graphics functionality that's integral to the Intel CPU.  I'm not a Mac person, but if I recall, the Macbook Pro bypasses that capability of the CPU and uses an NVIDIA GeForce mobile graphics card...IF it is working right.

Either check your BIOS to make sure your machine is using the right graphics card (or whatever you Mac folks use as the equivalent of a BIOS), or lug the dang thing back to Apple again.

But really, you should ask Santa for a new computer.  A 2011 machine, either Mac or Windows, is going to be marginal for today's SL.  If you buy a Windows desktop, you'll get a lot more capability for your dollar than if you insist on a laptop.

• Like 1

Thanks, this post made me wonder so now I've looked deeper than the front page of the system report and in fact there are 2 graphics cards. the other is an AMD Radeon HD 6750M. This appears to be a bad option for SL...it's certainly not working for me!. The lovely Apple engineers seem to have downgraded my graphics card.

As for a new computer, at any price, Santa is being talked to but I think he'll kick the subject over to the Easter Bunny. Looks like I'll be off SL till then.

It's not the best option, true, but it's better than the Intel chip. You ought to be able to open the Catalyst control panel for your system and force the computer to select the AMD card instead of the Intel chip as a default. And you ought to be able to get current drivers for that card too. BTW, I agree with Lindal that you should convince Santa or the E.B. to bring you a new desktop instead of a laptop. Not only will they get more bang for their buck, but it will be much easier to upgrade later (new graphics card, new hard drives, ...) than a laptop would be.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.