Unlocking framerate to match 144hz monitor

Davlos Karsin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

This isn't a question about poor performance, but on the contrary. In not too many words, I have an i7-6700k and GTX 1080, so I have no performance problems to speak of. I recently bought a 144hz monitor and I'd like to see what I can do with Second Life and to see how many frames I can get out of it per second. Are there any commands or configs that I should know of?

2 answers to this question

In this game there are two definitions for frames and some people get confused.

There is a server frame rate which is 45 frames per second - and shared amongst things like physics, scripts, object updates and so on. This has NOTHING to do with what you are asking.

There is also a viewer frame rate, this has everything to do with what you want.

My system is a pretty much direct copy of yours and I get from 20fps to 160fps depending on what I am looking at and how much I am asking to render.

To see, Ctrl-Alt-F1 and up the top of the popup window is the Viewer FPS graph. (The verser frames are at the very bottom if you are interested)

Fly up into the sky to 4000Meters and look straight up - that will give you the absolute maximum FPS you can get - there is nothing at all to draw but the skybox.

Problem is that you will be drawing things, and unlike a conventional game where the contents of the screen are carefully controlled by skilled graphics artists SL is a hodgepodge of creation and triangles.

The biggest hints to get the best viewer FPS you can get for your CPU and Video Card will be keeping your draw distance at a lowish level - in most cases I run at 128 meters, although when sailing I bump it up to 400 meters, when building and landscaping 300 meters. - for the rest on the graphics screen, crank it all up to maximum.

I choose 128 meters for average use as it can also make shopping a lot faster - less to load.

People with lesser CPUs will need a whole heap more changes. Maximum settings are only for the latest i7 processors and great video cards.

Important to realise as well that unlike most games SL is not bottlenecked on the video card but the CPU. With future upgrades focus more on the raw GHz speed of the CPU as that is where the real bottleneck currently is.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.