request for better linden homes

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The current linden homes are outdated and offer few choices to fit many peoples life styles. Some are so small you bob in and out of the house visually or cant see your own avatar. some are so thematic they offer no room for creativity, and some are so outdated and stale they also dont allow creativity.

I usually settle for the boxy one as its the one easiest for me to see my avatar moving in and around. But its not the style I want. its too sterile. Id rather have someone more homey and country. like a wrap around porch and a neighborhood where the homes ARE all homes as they are now, but a bit more variety.

Keep the boxy and the A-frame and add something more homey with a wrap around porch and put them into the same region. and add more ponds or something that gives the land a little more organic feel.

And lastly, OMG more prims please! 

I know you keep it dumbed down so people will be forced to buy land, pay more, and or pay lots of money to other land owners. BUt I really hate having to go back week after week to check the status of the rental. And for buying mainland to put my own home on...well thats a nice idea however there is rarely anything available that isnt overshadowed by someone elses "themed" castle or large fort.

I just want a nice neighborhood with more character in my own home. and for simpliclty I want it to be part of my premium. I like spending the rest of my moola on purchasing cool things from creators. Im tired of the lack of homes in a price I can afford and prims to play with.

Im that person in the middle. long term in SL but cant quite find my price range and comfort zone.

Love ya SL, but please...something new in the homes. I can post a few pics if anyone cares. 

Alternatively, let us have linden land with no prefab, up the prims so we can either build our own home or purchase one that is more interesting and the size and dimensions we want. you could do it as an experiment with maybe some boundaries. like if its a "homey" neighborhood...no castles. If its medival themed the home would have to be themed similarly.

• Like 2

I've seen some nice 512's come up for auction - become a Premium member and if you buy a yearly membership with automatic renewals you will never have to check in again.

You would have to pay for the 512, of course, but after that you would not have monthly tier payments and you could build exactly what you want!

• Like 1

Linden homes were never meant to be permanent residences but just starter homes to give people a taste of home ownership.  The thought was that people like you would move to the mainland and get a larger and better home or to a private estate.

While some are satisfied with Linden homes bare bones style, other like you aren't. While LL just gave more prims to Linden homes, don't expect LL to ever provide homes that you are ever going to be really satisfied with, from what you say. 

There appears to be a couple continents in the works with larger buildings that are very close together and with no common areas scattered through out other than the center, but no one knows for sure what LL is up to there.  I wouldn't believe any rumour or count on anything until LL makes public what they are up to there.  Nothing has been announced about when to expect more info, so it could still be a long time before anything is said.  It also could be a project that has nothing to do with premium membership.

I doubt LL is ever going to have more zoning as you suggest on mainland because it has been suggested for years and never happened, other than a couple of themed communities with covenants, called Nautilus and Bay City.

Better homes are called the rest of mainland.

The Linden Homes had an outdated design the day they were launched. This is intentional. It was meant as a starter product.

That said there are many skilled people who have shown that you can do quite a lot with them if you work things well enough. But if the basic design just doesn't suit you - move to mainland.

It is possible to find nice plots of land on mainland.  It just takes some patience and persistence.  When I've looked for land in the past, I ususally set the map to show land for sale, and then spend some time visiting the different plots up for sale.  Sometimes it take a while of checking until you find something you like. 

Another thing to remember is that you don't have to build on the ground on mainland - you can always put a skybox up in the sky over your property and then you don't have to deal with the neighbors builds.  Or you can put a platform up in the sky, and then put a regular house on it with landscaping, if you don't want just a skybox.   When I've gone this route, I usually build walls around the platfrom and then either make them transparent so I can see out, or texture them with stone or something similar, so that I don't end up walking off the edge of the platform by mistake.  

Sometimes you have to check a variety of heights in order to find a height where you don't see other skyboxes or platforms.  Also, I generally set out whatever I'm going to put out (the skybox or the platform) on the ground first, to make sure I have it positioned within the property boundaries, then set the "Z" position in edit mode to the height I want to put it at. 

Yes, they could use an update.

Style is subjective so I won't agree or disagree on that.

What makes them feel small or big are the discrepancy in avatar sizes and realistic scale. I've never had a problem with avatar size in said homes because I have an average/default scaled avatar that I've had from day one. I'm probably still to tall, still coming in at 6 feet (but if I shrink my avatar any smaller than default, i look like a child) - especially standing next to an 'average man' in SL who seems to be  8 foot tall for some reason.

Next, the actual texture size in the homes is crazy. Change the textures to a scale size (tiles at least 0.25m each), suddenly you would notice the walls are 16 feet. It goes on and on and the debate rages on.

I make my products with the default avatar size in mind, from gadgets to furniture and future products.

As you can see, I can fit a living room set in a fraction of the 'available living room' in this LInden Home.. In fact I could fit a small cafe or restaurant, complete with lounge area and bathrooms (and outdoor diner's patio) if I the Li allowed me to.

Space is not an issue - rather the scale is an issue.

Also, I dont care if my Linden Home was meant to be temporary, for all intents and purposes it has been my base, my workspace, my lab, w/e I've used it for  (with premium sandboxes). I too, would like them to be updated (at the least), freshened up with new and optimized and scaled textures, etc.

Nothing wrong with updating something that works, and can still work for years to come - a fresh coat of paint never hurt anyone or anything.

But most of all? I hate that fireplace. Too big, too 70's and is an eyesore (I cover it up)

Hi, just tried your settings from your blog for camera.

for SL viewer I still ended up with my avatar too far away. in fact nothing seemed to change as I retyped numbers. however, using your other notes regarding FOV, cntrol 9 and control 0 about 6 times brought the avatar where Id like to follow it from behind on screen. Hoping this is the case when it moves. Havent tried it in a building yet.

that being said, went into my Alchemy SL viewer and it all worked GREAT. So much nicer than how it keeps defaulting to my head jutting out of the bottom of the screen or bouncing in and out of things the minute I start to walk.

Wish there was a way for settings I make to stick. because like you or someone said, every single freaking time the viewer is updated I go back to seeing my avatar in ways that make me want to just give up and quit.

Ive been on the mainland. been an owner. I want hassle free, not outragous prices, no crazy castles next to my home, more prims and for my PREMIUM account the option of just having a bit of land that I can put a house on. and not a teeny 512 plot. Please do not assume just because I want better linden homes that I have not tried anything else.

I dont want a sky box. I like having neighbors. I just dont want the old style linden where everything is the exact same and I dont want what I see on the mainland with everything all over the place. If I had more income, and if owning your own sim had not become so prohibitive Id build what I want and rent out to folks who are like minded. Im just NOT seeing what I do want.

and you never know until you ask. Linden cant cater to big sim owners completely or they wont survive. they need us peons as well. lol.

• 2 months later...

Im still seeing only 117. and the new homes pertains to "horizons". You have to purchase your ugly home and let your premium account give you your 512 prim alotment for free. you get 175 prims. which is better. but...the homes...even uglier than the ancient premium linden homes. Really not what I was looking for in terms of an upgrade. I do not think lindens are listening.

The original Linden Homes now have 170 prims available. If a viewer or script is showing you different numbers, it's time to update it.

Normal mainland at 512 sqm also gets 170 prims. Of course, the quality and appearance of any buildings on a mainland parcel is entirely up to the land owner, as there are no standard buildings for them.

(Some private estates do offer prim bonuses of varying amounts that can boost that number a little or a lot, but these parcel have nothing to do with premium accounts.)

Horizons parcels are regular double-prim mainland with optional Mole-made houses, a totally separate product from the Linden Homes. You can skip those LL-supplied buildings and, like  with any mainland, put any structures you want on the land. These have 703 prims.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 7:55 PM, Cerise Sorbet said:

Horizons parcels are regular double-prim mainland with optional Mole-made houses, a totally separate product from the Linden Homes. You can skip those LL-supplied buildings and, like  with any mainland, put any structures you want on the land. These have 703 prims.

Ive never heard of Horizons parcels or mole made houses. Is this linden land? something new? Ive been around a long time in terms of years but out of touch the last two years due to work issues. so my knowledge is really behind the times. 

3 hours ago, Tenly said:

Ive never heard of Horizons parcels or mole made houses. Is this linden land? something new? Ive been around a long time in terms of years but out of touch the last two years due to work issues. so my knowledge is really behind the times.

Mole-Made - Made by the 'Moles', the 3rd party subcontractors who do all the work for the LLDPW.

Horizons - Newish Adult Rated Madlands Micro-Continent, with THEMED houses designed to sucker speculators into paying moronic prices for Madlands digital dirt at auction, and then to pay endless amounts of tier while waiting in vain for people stupid enough to buy from the speculators at even more insane prices...

"New from LL - The stunning new micro-continent of ASSHATTIA! Lots available for auction NOW! Prices start from as little at 50 L$ /sqm! Don't miss out on this GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to become a WEALTHY MADLANDER SLUMLORD! Invest today before its TOO LATE!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2016 at 6:19 PM, CassieMaia said:

Also, I generally set out whatever I'm going to put out (the skybox or the platform) on the ground first, to make sure I have it positioned within the property boundaries, then set the "Z" position in edit mode to the height I want to put it at. 

Omgosh!!! Why didn't I ever think of that??? THANK YOU!! LOL!

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.