Will TMP (TheMeshProject) release a final version of their mesh avatar / hud?

Real Burger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I wonder if TMP will release a final version of their hud/mesh, because it's been 3 years that  it is in beta.
Thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people bought their product and it seems not sure that it will have a final version one day.

Does anyone have any news about this?

In the case of the project is discontinued and that we can't get a final release version, can we ask for a refund? If not, can Linden Lab prevent such things to happen in the future with other unscupulous creators?

Thank you

I'm curious, what do you feel you're not getting with the product you have?

We're you aware of its so called beta status when you purchased it?

What conditions were attached when you purchased? I.e. was there a promise that within a certain timespan, a particular set of features which would be described as "final" would be released?

Why is the merchant considered "unscrupulous"?

Do you understand the terms that you signed up to, specifically concerning LL's position on resident to resident transactions?

This reminds me of Steam's policy on Early Access Games (games that are not finished). You buy the game with no guarantee from Steam that the game will ever be finished. If it never gets finished, you don't get your money back. The idea is that you are taking that calculated risk. No one is forcing you to buy the (unfinished) product.

I think that policy extends here as well, though someone correct me if I'm wrong. You bought an unfinished product. You gave someone money for the product as it is now, not as it might be someday. Unless you have something in writing that says TMP will refund you if their product never is finished, I think you are out of luck. 

Real Burger wrote:

In the case of the project is discontinued and that we can't get a final release version, can we ask for a refund?

No. Its always caveat emptor.

I know I paid many thousands of linden for an aircraft carrier from an unnamed (and respected in some circles) aircraft creator. He did the same thing, promised a finished product but got bored with it and never delivered on his word. But I always knew this was a chance from the outset - it was also labeled as beta/pre-release with promises of updates.

This is the thing with betas. You need to consider that in many cases the creator is releasing it and charging money for a reason, sometimes even to scam people - and not actually working on (or having any intention of) finishing the product.

And there is nothing that can be done - you just need to avoid these beta products.

And as you are burnt by people realise that their non-delivery on promises is a mark of their greater business and product in general. It reflects on their honour.

There are many better bodies out there than the TMP, change to another and don't look back.

I was interested in TMP body when it came out so I logged in with an alt and went and got the free body. When I tried to install one of the HUD's there was a ToS to accept. After reading it, I found I could not accept it so I deleted the free body and went no further.
I found it interesting that a lot of people I spoke to did not even see that they accepted the ToS and one person told me, they do not have a ToS.
You really need to read these things for all products, they have a lot of information in them, and some times not what you can live with. And everyone is different with what they can tolerate.
I for one can't use Flash Player, I'm not a lawyer and can't read the license agreement so its not on my computer.

There are a growing number of parts of the software industry that permanently use the word Beta on released product. It's sort of a way to be able to claim 'if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you - that's on you, not us'.

TMP is basically a done product. I don't think they've updated the body since the Reagan Administration was in office anyway... so I'd not sit there 'worrying'. You will either like it or you won't, and they expect you to see that as on you.

I would still advise you to demo every brand you can before choosing one. Try them with your animations, try them with sit poses, and try messing with shape dials.

Some of them only look good 'out of the box and unmoving'... Some of them deform a lot from certain common angles when sitting or when you dial shape dials too far from those of the included shape or if you use avatar physics...

It's your money - so test thouroughly before spending it.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.