What's This Thing That Will Change Our SL Forever?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Designing Worlds has just put out a press release with the following statement:

"And we also have news of a special show coming this Thursday, November 3rd at 2pm - with discussion of an announcement from the Lab that will impact all our Second Lives!
http://bit.ly/2fnboXR
And Patch Linden will be in the Designing Worlds studio after the show on Thursday to discuss the announcement."

On the web, the video announcer says even more dramatically that this event "will change our Second Lives forever!"

https://www.slartist.com/designing-worlds-special-edition-november-3-2016-trailer_bd29c51a0.html

So I'm wondering what's up, and the presence of Patch indicated it might be related to that mysterious build (discussed here where Patch makes an appearance).

Thoughts:

1. The Mainland is closing, and everyone there will be forced into Linden Homes which they may try to make better to placate us but will still be like a reservation.

2. The Mainland isn't closing, but is going to be forced into "Adult".

3. The Mainland will be trimmed and shrunk.

4. The Mainland will no longer be serviced.

PS Designing Worlds is keeping mum on this but has indicated it will be "positive for everybody". Of course YMMV.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand your point there but as it points to some wannabe 'TV Talking Head' rubbish (a format I gave up on decades ago) I will hang ten until something official gets out. Or another source.

But for fun - I reckon its a variation on Carousel ( and not the remake either ) and anyone with a rezdate pre 2011..... =^^=

I vote that it will either be bigger Linden homes (*cough - for a higher premium fee), or Bento. 

LL rarely gives away things for nothing.  Bigger Linden homes may come with a higher premium fee.  That might be optional, like a super premium membership.  Two continents is not enough to replace all the current Linden home.  It remains to be seen if the free tier allowance on mainland would increase. 

Of the two the Bento project is the only one that will effect everyone and come close to changing SL lives forever.  Doubt I'll run out and buy new animations or clothes to replace what I already have though.  It would be nice though if the new bones came with a somewhat improved avatar that didn't render the clothes we have obsolete.

I wonder if it's an attempt to make the Linden neighborhoods feel less empty? If you have less space, you cram more people in and it's more dense. If they ever feel like they are approaching capacity, it shouldn't be hard to copy/paste, in effect, any additional land?

Yes, LL can copy a sim and put more on line. If they were going to replace the current Linden homes though, I'd think they'd have more on the grid already to avoid delay if these fill up.  Whether people that have all the architectural theme homes will want to give them up and move into a neighborhood with what appears to be one theme is an open question.  Actually the homes are more compacted together, and leave very little room to individualize them with landscaping.

The Linden continents feel empty because of the different time zones everyone lives in in RL and for other reasons. This isn't going to solve that.  Different people are on at different times and many of them are off doing things, not hanging out at their houses which are very basic and don't have the entertainment options or the space to entertain that most homes on other regions have. A lot of people just use them to log into and for changing clothes. Most premium members I know have one just for a hideout, but have larger homes on private regions. 

Hmm. Bento will "change our SL" but they screwed the pooch on requirements such that existing AO animation sets won't animate the Bento heads at all, so the "change" is basically obsoleting a ton of legacy content that could have been preserved for minimal extra development effort. Big Woop.

The animation content creators seem fine with that -- perhaps not surprisingly because every previously built-in facial expression will now have to be bought and paid for -- or, more likely, most Bento mesh heads will stay just as dopily expressionless as before, waiting for avatar users to explicitly puppeteer every smile or frown. Yah, you betcha, like that's gonna happen.

That's all an aside though, because I doubt the Lab would choose Designing Worlds for the Bento announcement. Especially with Patch involved, it seems more likely to be that next-gen Linden Homes continent, or whatever it is --something Land related, anyway.

I still hold out hope that they'll double (or more) the Premium "bonus" tier level from 512 to a number more relevant to current Mainland conditions, as part of this brave new thing, whatever it is. Otherwise, whatever it is, probably won't noticeably change my SL.

Like avatar foot shadows, the ability to bend my little avatar fingers at their purported joints is not something I want or need nor would it affect my SL. Bento leaves me absolutely uninterested; my only hope is that it doesn't mess up pre-existing clothes, skins etc. I suppose that's too much to ask, however. I don't have mesh bodies/heads as I find them Halloween-fright-night awful, but live and learn.

Somehow, I don't think that moving from 512 to 1012, which would be a very nice gesture and the sort of LONG OVERDUE nice thing for the Mainland that hasn't been done in ages is NOT the thing that will "change SL forever" for EVERYONE as the Mainland is a tiny percentage.

So it could be :

o a move to real names - there's some concerted claque that wants this, I think most people don't.

o ability to save content offline - but I doubt that

o an end to free accounts (many want this because they associate it with griefing; that's because they don't associate it with "Europe, Asia and the rest of the world outside the US" as I do, i.e. customers.

o start points not on the Linden welcome areas but custom areas

My guess...

They made a deal with Sony or Microsoft to bring SL to PS4 or X-Box One and will be releasing SL 2.0 for PC and console... with no Adult or Skill regions and a more realistic graphics engine.

SL 1.0 will continue to exist (on PC only) for Adult and Skill regions, and the mainland will be slowly transferred to 2.0 and removed from 1.0.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I vote that it will either be bigger Linden homes (*cough - for a higher premium fee), or Bento.

I think it's worth noticing that it's Patch who's in charge of this new thing and he's not involved in Bento in any way.

What he is involved in right now, is a new 58 sim continent: 34 sims with 816 1024 m2 houses, 12 water sims, six "experience sims" of different sorts and six "temples" or "hubs" or whatever you like to call them. I think you should focus on that and the question is, how can something like that change SL forever? ;)

ChinRey wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I think it's worth noticing that it's Patch who's in charge of this new thing and he's not involved in Bento in any way.

What he is involved in right now, is a new 58 sim continent: 34 sims with 816 1024 m2 houses, 12 water sims, six "experience sims" of different sorts and six "temples" or "hubs" or whatever you like to call them. I think you should focus on that and the question is, how can something like that change SL forever?
;)

I've been trying to ignore this part, over in the other thread, where you said "As to who it's for, well, this isn't something that's going to interest any Mainlanders or Islanders or Lindens and that leaves us with just one group of potential inhabitants."

It seems as if you have special knowledge. I sure hope this "one group" is not some new partitioning of residents, whatever that could be, to fill the new ghetto. Anyway, I can't think of any such category that doesn't sound like a punchline:

1. VR headset users? 
  2. Super-Premium members so excited to play Mole games and live in "the projects" that they'll pay more tier for access to FanGirLand?
  3. In-world merchants? 

I think #2 is what Amethyst was suggesting, but that seems at least as far-fetched as the other two absurdities. So I admit: have no idea what it could be.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

interesting post at the QA section... might be after the rolling restart?...or simply a bug...

It's consistent. Mainland regions that have been restarted today are showing a prim-per-square-meter allowance about 50 percent higher than before. RC regions, which are running the same server software but haven't been restarted yet this week, are showing the old prim allowance. The post for the server rolls in the Server section of the forums said that the RC regions "would be running the same release they currently are" but didn't say "no roll." The "big announcement" is going to be the day after all regions in Second Life will be restarted.

Oh, I guess what it is, is doubling prims. 

I see right after the new rollout today that sims suddenly have double the remaining prims than they used to have.

Of course, this could be a mistake. But there it is.

This is kind of a funny gift - if this is it -- because with mesh, we've already seen the trend toward way less prims or "land impact". I routinely see half or less prims on people's parcels nowadays than they actually rent because they are getting mesh houses that have much less prims than prim houses.

So having double prims maybe not even be used, although it will be welcome to some.

Right, it appears to be a 50% prim bonus, upping the region total from 15,000 to 22,500.

And yep, it'll be handy for folks who'd otherwise need to buy (or rent) more land to add even more stuff. I doubt many will actually shed square meters (owned or rented) to shrink down to fit their current Land Impact.

(And so we're still waiting for details of the apparently unrelated Mole development of plus-sized Linden Homes or whatever they are.)

Very cool. 

Someone asked if it will extend to estates. I'd have to wonder about that too. I don't know how all rentals work, but my About Land at my rental says I have a 2x bonus. I've only used 263/512 prims. I would hope that rent wouldn't increase just because we get more prims. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.