Does SL run better the higher the Mbps, or is it that over a certain figure the is no real differenc

Zoebug Agrawal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am in an absolute confused pickle regards internet speed, how much i need for a good second life experience.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Memory: 8192 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.0 Darwin 16.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.0.0: Mon Aug 29 17:56:20 PDT 2016; root:xnu-3789.1.32~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 320M OpenGL Engine

My graphics card is not good, but I can not change it. I do have a SSD, but not sure if or how that helps.

I am in an absolute confused pickle regards internet speed, how much i need for a good second life experience. For the last five years I have had an ok connection but it was often very laggy at some of my favourite places. Maybe I had 24mbps but I am not sure how fast it was in reality, because it was ADSL and I do not live close to the exchange etc.

Then another company put cable down my street last month and I plumped for it. I don’t get the 200mbps speed they promised me because I find out my computer can’t take it, but I do get between 72-90mbps.

But this New cable company have messed me around massively, failing to give me a phone line, charging me for installation and phone services they were not providing and charging me 50% more because they failed to add the phone thus breaking their bundle package and then via several phone calls crediting my account in confusingly ways. And I can’t reduce my bill because of the fact the speed I am getting is half of that promised.

Is  a speed like 80mbps useful for second life, does fast down load it make any difference?
I am half way through cancelling old company who are now offering 32mbps but thats ADSL again.

2 answers to this question

Bandwidth is rarely a limiting factor in SL.  Most of the time, your viewer will be using less than 1 Mb/sec.  It will only spike above that briefly when you teleport.  When there are Internet issues, they typically are caused by either packet loss or large and irregular ping times.  In your case, you won;t ever be able to get very good performance, no matter how good your connection is.  That graphics card is not only old but also way lower quality than the cards in most common use in SL today.  See https://gyazo.com/8db7b5c1094c321ddff67228d767a52a .  If you are considering upgrading your Internet service just for SL, I'd suggest putting the money into a new graphics card (or maybe a new computer) instead.

• Like 2

Bandwidth is usually not the issue but memory and graphics are. If it was me I would take the money and buy a good graphics card or some decent system upgrades, or even a new system instead of upgrading Internet service, in the end you would have a much more rewarding Second Life experience overall. Rarely does network bandwidth become a limiting factor in regards to Second Life.

Felicia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.