Help not understanding my puter or sl

Cherriedoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I had posted another question but this is still confusing. I wasnt able to get sl to run on my puter some told me it cause my video card is not  the right one.. I actually got it to work  last night  I was able to play it for about 30 min before it kept crahing and I couldnt play any more..  Could there be something else wrong or is it my video card? I mean I play other games that just the same amout of graphics as sl.. any answers to help my crashing issue .. i cant afford a new computer and I really want to make this game work its adicting LOL

7 answers to this question

I read on the other thread you posted that you've got a Radeon Xpress 200m.

I can't advise you on what graphics card you need to buy, but you certainly don't have to buy a whole new computer. 

I run SL on a 3 year old Dell mid-range computer, which had a pitiful graphics card at first (because when I had it built and they asked me "will you be running high graphics games on it" I answered "no"!). My first few months in SL were horrendous because I kept crashing, frame rate was generally slow when I could log in, photo quality was very poor, and then someone on the forums recommended an nvidia 9500, so for around £50 I bought one, it was dead easy to instal, although I had to get someone else to upgrade my power supply for me, and it's run SL well for me for around 2 years now.

I'm sure other people who read this thread will be able to advise you what graphics card you need to upgrade to.

These are the minimum and recommended system requirements to run SL on your computer.  Check everything carefully against your setup and see what may be awry.  Not all computer games have the same requirements.   What may run perfectly fine on one game, might not work at all on another.

https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/

We need a little more information about your computer to help.  I'm assuming you are using the SL Official Viewer 2.x.  If that viewer is 2.5 then launch the viewer but don't bother to log in.  Under the "Help" menu at the log in screen click on "About Second Life"...........you'll see your basic computer specs listed.  Copy and paste those back here.

But, if you are using the newest Official Viewer 2.6 you have two modes.......basic and advanced.  If you are using the basic mode you won't have a "Help" menu on the log in screen, so you must change to advanced.  There is the option right next to the log in button.......change it to advanced and quite the viewer.  Launch it again and you'll be in the advanced mode and will have the "Help" menu at your log in screen.......then just click the "About Second Life" and copy the specs. 

If you are using one of the third party viewers just click the "About Second Life" under the "Help" menu as you would do if you are using Viewer 2.5 (or 2.6 after changing to advanced mode.

You can switch back and forth between basic and advanced each time you get to the log in screen if you are using 2.6.  You just have to shut down the viewer and relaunch for the change to take effect is all.

Second Life 2.6.0 (225006) Mar 24 2011 15:11:42 (Second Life Release)

Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Celeron® M CPU 520 @ 1.60GHz (1600.05 MHz)

Memory: 1918 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit (Build 6000)

Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon Xpress Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.501-080602a-065252C-ATI

OpenGL Version: 2.1.7659 Release

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1

Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Voice Server Version: Not Connected

Built with MSVC version 1400

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.