Is this enough for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is this enough for SL? I am aware of the requirements page, however, the graphics card this has is not mentioned and I'm unaware if it is equal, less or greater to the required type (because it isn't mentioned). Thank you in advance. 

Also, what graphics card should I  get if this is wrong and how often does it need replacing for SL? 

it will run SL fine, not the best, but not bad for a laptop.

It's a gaming laptop,i think, as msi has a nice line of models for, but still can be wise to check temperatures now and than. Some msi models have a fan boost.... USE IT when it's needed  ")

Keep an eye on the real delivered memory... it says UP TO, ... thats not what's in it when you buy it.

Ther's not a limited time for a graphics card to play SL... it will age like your other hardware. ( when used as it's build for)  and not need replacment.

The specs for your machine are decently above the requirements on the webpage.

PinknBlonde wrote:

... Also, what graphics card should I  get if this is wrong and how often does it need replacing for SL? 

I agree with the previous advice that this rig should be fine for SL.   Not "Wow!", but okay.

Be aware however, that graphics chips in laptops are generally not replaceable.   What you list is a graphics chip and not a full graphics card, hence the "m" in it's suffix.  

My guess is you'll be fine for a couple of years or even longer, but when the chip is outclassed eventually, I believe you'll be looking at a new machine and not just a new graphics chip.   (I have heard of a couple of newer laptops with supposedly upgradeable graphics chips, but I don't believe that's what you're showing us here.)

I have the full version of that same card in an older desktop, and it plays SL without complaint from me.   For my usage, it's fine, but not as smooth as the GTX-970m in my Asus ROG laptop.  (Which is completely logical & expected anyway.)

EDIT:   typonese correction

• 2 weeks later...

Before anything that is NOT a gaming laptop.

The 940MX is just a re-brand of the 940M, which is a 2 year old GPU, basically it has a slightly higher clock.
This card doesn't even have a desktop version, since it's a sub-entry level GPU, basically you get a card that can aid the CPU on certain tasks but not much else.
At least the screen is only 1600x900, so it doesn't have as many pixels as a 1080p display to push around.

Now I notice you mention you went for the 32GB of RAM, let me tell you with unless you're planning on having 100 tabs open on your web browser, that's over kill speically considering your CPU, plus I hope you're not planning on rendering videos while running SL at the same time on this laptop.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.