No Sound

Shell Wemyss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using Second Life 2.6.2 (225236) Mar 29 2011 13:20:55 (Second Life Beta Viewer) (And the non beta release) on Windows & 64Bit.

I have NO sound at all from it and yet if I use any other viewer apart from the SL V2 the sound works fine.

Have updated to the lastest sound card drivers and no change, still no sound. It just started working last week for a few days and today has just stopped again with no warning.

It is driving me mad, please has anyone any ideas?

Many thanks

Check the master sound panel (upper right corner of your screen in V2, I believe) to be sure that you haven't inadvertently moved the slider all the way to the left.  I have done that by mistake a couple of times and then thought that I'd gone deaf.

Check your firewall. I have had a similar problem. I went to the firewall settings, where all exceptions are listed that do NOT get blocked and deleted all entries with the name SL voice. After starting SL again, my firewall asked me to confirm if SL voice is allowed or should be blocked. I allowed it and then it worked again. I use Windows Vista.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone

i have viewer 2 and i cant  hear music,  its been working fine but then all sudden just stopped, when ever i log in it plays for 3 seconds then cuts off, i have spoke to linden labs about, but thay cant see wot the problem is, told me to post here.

my account is fine as i have checked it on my laptop but on my pc it wont work, i have reset my pc back to factory settings 3 times in the hope it would fix any problems but still the same, i have even tried phoneix and imbpurdance severs and still the same no music, in my pref sound options i noticed in the output the volume is not moveing like its does when im on the laptop, (this in on viewer 2) i just am lost what to do nexted does anyone have any ideas to maybe help me

im on windows 7

I assume that the Chat Help people at LL advised to to read the information in the Knowledge Base and that you have tried all of that, right?  When you listen to streamed music in SL, your viewer is only working as a switch for your own computer's sound software, so changing from V2 to Phoenix or Imprudence shouldn't make any difference.  If your Preference settings are all correct, chances are that you either have misadjusted settings for your speakers or other parts of your computer's sound system, or you have a firewall problem, as someone suggested earlier in this thread. 

yeah i did think it it as to be to do with my pc settings but i cant work out wot, it all seems to be ok, i hear sound on my pc from other things like windows media or you tube, i know its not my fire wall cos i have to turn that off before i can log into sl cos it wont let me in with it on, so it must be a setting somewere i just cant work it out tho

this is a pic of my pref

http://i56.tinypic.com/2vtocvb.jpg

as u can see the vol is not even high ligthed

• 4 weeks later...

I see this is a kinda old threat and i have looked around for others with the same problem i seem to be having, havent found any.   In SL, and this is on any viewer and I mean like SL viewer 2, Phoenix Viewer and Imprudence.  On my computer i have sound, I can talk and hear on skype, and when pages load. When I log into SL i have no sound.  I cant hear music or when im's come in, or any game sounds.  I uninstalled SL and all viewers and wiped out my folders then redownloaded SL and the viewers, installed them and still no sound in SL.  I can do the voice but just no sound.  Anyone else having or had this issue before?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have been in SL for nearly a year now, never had a problem. Logged into SL today. No sound on anything. PC sound works with or without headphones. Just not in SL. All the sliders are on etc etc etc. Does not even work for me in a different viewer. Reloaded viewers. Nothing. Wish I knew how to get sound back, I do not even hear ambient sounds.

• 8 months later...

Make sure you have at least one Slplugin.exe running  to check open up windows task manager go under Processes  and look for it oyu may have 1 or more when you first open up your viewer. if you dont have any than you wont be able to hear any sounds  this happened to me a couple of times last week until i spoke to Firestorm staff and thats what they tol dme and it works about 90% of the time i'll take that percentage anytime..hope it works out for you

• 8 years later...
On 4/10/2011 at 1:18 PM, Norbo Sands said:

Check your firewall. I have had a similar problem. I went to the firewall settings, where all exceptions are listed that do NOT get blocked and deleted all entries with the name SL voice. After starting SL again, my firewall asked me to confirm if SL voice is allowed or should be blocked. I allowed it and then it worked again. I use Windows Vista.

This helped me out with the linden lab viewer thank you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.