Will SL run on a Lenovo Z50-75?

Jayme Riptide

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Will SL run on a Lenovo Z50-75? It has an AMD Radeon R7 with shared graphics memory, but the system requirements for SL mentions ATI Radeon 9500 or better. All other specs seem to be in the recommended range.

So from what I read below, the R7 is better than the 9500. Why can't they name these so you can easily tell? I'm not looking for screaming performance (moving shadows are nice, but not necessary, at least to me. *grins*)

3 answers to this question

Maybe, but probably not very well.

Here is a comparison between the R7, 9500, and the popular high end Nvidia GTX 970, which runs SL very well indeed.  (Note that the R7 I used is the R7 240; there are a lot of other graphics cards in the R7 lineup, and you didn't say exactly which one yours was.)

Hi Jayme,

I think it might be even worse than Lindal states. I looked up that Lenovo laptop. It's no longer listed on Lenovo's website, but I found this page...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z50-75-Notebook-Review-Update.127031.0.html

It seems that laptop has an R6-M255DX combination of discrete and integrated graphics chips. I have some doubts that SL will use both chipsets at the same time. If that's the case, you'll be running SL on only the R5 M230 discrete chip that makes up the R6 pair (what bozo comes up with these naming conventions?). Here's the graphics tab of the system summary page from that laptop...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Lenovo/IdeaPad_Z50-75/hwinfo_neu_2.PNG

The R5 M230 chip gets a G3D benchmark score of 459. That's half as fast as the R7 you mentioned.

Running Second Life is not like most other software. SL is very demanding of the hardware. While most other games have some simple settings like low, medium, and high, SL has settings that have settings...

The hardware requirements for good performance are complex. The minmium System Requirements the Lab lists are not going to give you a good experience.

There is a lot of discussion in the forum about what hardware is best and/or just adequite. 

In general a second gen i3 3.5GHz CPU, NVIDIA 760, and 32 GB of ram with a 64-bit OS is about the minimum for a machine that can give an enjoyable experience. Of course everyone has their idea of what is enjoyable.

I have a section of my blog: Hardware. It deals with hardware from a Second Life user's perspective.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.