Why can't i hear people speaking in a group chat?

Auroralennox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why can't i hear people speaking in a group chat? i can hear other sounds from the surroundings but no voice. I don't use any mic - my computer doesn't have it, but i have speakers. I think all the options are set right so where is the problem and how can i fix it? How should i set Input/Output ? (I use Windows Vista)

2 answers to this question

In Preferences you need to enable voice. Preferences (Ctrl-P)->Sound & Media (tab)->Voice Chat (checkbox) enable.

Without a mic you can't talk, but you should be able to hear.

Generally you do not have to worry about which output device to use. If you hear the ambient sounds and voice gestures, your viewer has found the sound output.

There is an additional setting that may be a problem. In the upper right hover your cursor over the speaker-icon. You should see a drop down with: 

Master
Buttons
Ambient
Sounds
Music
Media
Voice

The sliders should be at the halfway/50% point, at least to start. Then adjust to suite your self.

You can also enable disable voice chat in the drop down.

You say 'Group Chat' but you probably mean local chat, nearby people. General "Group" communication does not include voice. It is text only.

But, there is a conference voice chat, which is different. If that is the issue, it should resolve using the same steps.

In many places people are going into private chat (IM), text or voice. You have to be invited to join and listen in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.