Legs moving through mesh dresses/skirts; is there a fix?

JaedenDelanaire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

Many of my mesh outfits were bought in 2013, and I've taken a hiatus since. I don't recall having this problem 2 years ago. But the issue has happened on objects of different creators. Well known creators; Teefy, Secret Garden, and other creators that are featured at Collabor88--in fact, seviral of these dresses were Collabor88 purchases.

In relatively static poses the dresses are fine. When I walk, or when the poses have more active leg work, the part of my leg that does not have an alpha layer shows right through. The problem isn't fixed by putting more alpha layer in, as the leg's position moving outside the mesh's structure is the issue. This problem occurs on both maitreya mesh avatar and the SL standard avatar.

Has something changed in the way mesh bones to the legs in the last two years? Is this an issue with current clothing? Should I be asking the object creators for a hopefully more updated version of the clothing that has boning that adheres to the present SL skeleton?

The issue occurs on both Firestorm and Singularity, I have not yet tried the standard SL viewer yet. Any suggestions or people mentioning their own issue with old mesh outfits would be comforting. Any information, really. Thank you in advanced!

In your standard/system avatar (not Maitreya) it could be happening because you're not wearing either a glitch layer or an

associated with the outfit. You can alternatively buy many types of alpha layer. They basically make parts of standard avatars invisible.

For Maitreya, it probably has a HUD or fancy gizmo that can hide parts of the mesh body.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

Hello!

Many of my mesh outfits were bought in 2013, and I've taken a hiatus since. I don't recall having this problem 2 years ago. But the issue has happened on objects of different creators. Well known creators; Teefy, Secret Garden, and other creators that are featured at Collabor88--in fact, seviral of these dresses were Collabor88 purchases.

In relatively static poses the dresses are fine. When I walk, or when the poses have more active leg work, the part of my leg that does not have an alpha layer shows right through. The problem isn't fixed by putting more alpha layer in, as the leg's position moving outside the mesh's structure is the issue. This problem occurs on both maitreya mesh avatar and the SL standard avatar.

Has something changed in the way mesh bones to the legs in the last two years? Is this an issue with current clothing? Should I be asking the object creators for a hopefully more updated version of the clothing that has boning that adheres to the present SL skeleton?

The issue occurs on both Firestorm and Singularity, I have not yet tried the standard SL viewer yet. Any suggestions or people mentioning their own issue with old mesh outfits would be comforting. Any information, really. Thank you in advanced!

This is a very common problem with mesh dresses and certain walk animations, especially with walks that have the legs partially cross each other instead of the legs going straight back and forth. As they cross it causes rigging problems with the center part of the skirt. There's little the dress makers can do about this. Nothing about the skeleton has changed since 2013 so this problem may have been there originally and you just didn't notice - it's often only noticeable if you look at your avatar from the front.

It will be aggravated with the Maitreya body because it's not exactly the same size as the default avatar and due to the quirks of "fitted mesh" it may be rigged to bones somewhat differently than older mesh dresses.

It might be helped by increasing your hip width or by shopping for a new walk animation.

Did you switch to a different AO? That could be the reason you did not have this problem before. It is just impossible for animation makers to prevent clipping, considering there are tons of dresses and skirts around. Also the other way around... it's impossible for clothing creators to test outfits on every walk, dance and stand animation out there. A dress maker will test the behavior of the dress/skirt on a few poses and run trough a couple of walks. The more extreme your animations are, the more clipping will occur.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.