Help with blender!

Sweetiethesecond

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI i am interested in making things for second life using blender. I saved the Avatar xml but it says Appearance has been saved to XML to C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\Sweetiethesecond_s_0002.xml When i search for all this in my folders, i can't find it. It just comes up with internet explorer and gives me some kind of code script. Very confused. How else can i import my avatar, to blender?

The viewers can export avatar shape. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2013/04/23/second-life-shape-export/ You'll notice there are some scaling issues.

Once upon a time the viewers could export the shape as an OBJ file. AFAIK, that is no longer possible. I've asked in the three main groups likely to know and all say no OBJ export. There are some 4 year versions of viewers that still have the feature and some custom 3rd party viewers. Rumor is Singularity can do it, but I haven't tested that.

Blender has no idea what to do with the XML information. So, you probably wonder what it is and how to use it?

Many things in SL are parmeteric, shaped by a set of numbers. The shape sliders are adjusting the percent of morph being applied to the avatar. A saved shape is a list of those percentages. That list is what is being exported to the XML file.

You can manually sort out the file, import the SL avatar (files in SL Wiki) and apply the morph percents. Very tedious and error prone. A shortcut is to use AvaStar or MayaStar... someone is building a 3DMaxStar (I don't know that will be the name). These addons to Blender and Maya provide an SL compatible skeleton and rigged mesh connected to a set of sliders that mimic the Appearance Sliders in SL viewers. They also provide an importer that decyphers the XML file and applies the values to the SL compatible avatar in Blender or Maya.

No easy way to get a shape into Blender without Avastar or MayaStar. You can try asking someone with either to do it for you...

Chic Aeon wrote:

Note that unless you ONLY want to make clothes just for you, it would be better to use a "standard" avatar to work from.

This sounds like Avastar and MayaStar do not use the standard Avatar...

At least for Avastar i can ensure you that we do use the Standard Avatar. We generate the skeleton and the meshes directly from the avatar definition files, in the exact same way like the SL viewer does and similar to how the Avatar workbench was created a couple of years ago :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.