Well-crafted black skins

Kate Amdahl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been looking for some time for a very good black woman's skin in Second Life that has a friendly expression (many of the faces of skins of every shade and color look pouty or sullen to me!) and for which I can get a Maitreya applier. It should ideally have proper attention to detail, with appropriately-colored nipples, light palms, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I found a discussion from early 2015 about this, but was hoping there had been some new and wonderful additions since then.

^^^\ Kate /^^^

Can't really help with the skin colour (as my own avatar is either non-human or pale as a wall), but with the expression: Don't get fooled by the ads on the vendors. Among the strange breed of fashionista-hipsters, that plagque SL with one ugly fashion trend after another while trying to be "unique", its fashionable to have a face expression that looks either stupid, unfriendly, pouty or a combination of all that. Since at least 50% of your expression is determined by the shape you use, you won't look as bad as those pictures might suggest it.

For the ones with the pouty looks or sullen, do get the demo and try them on your shape. The face is either from a mesh head or the settings on the model. If you like the makeup, get the demo. Always demo as the skin can look totally different on your body as opposed to the model.

Reminder for that is how bad clothing looked on the wide hipped, missing pony look that was so popular 2 years or so ago with the pouty look. The demo clothing on my shape looked totally different as did the pouty look on the skin model.

When you say "black" (general you) I'm never quite sure what that means, since black people come in a wide spectrum of colors. When this question is asked, I find it usually means "dark skinned" black.

Ok quibble over.

Darker skins: Angel Rock is the gold standard of African type skins.

Modish just came out with a really nice dark skin. It girls makes some nice dark skins.

Lighter skins: L'etre came out of nowhere and his skins are great all around. I think he even has a dark toned one. Mignonne also makes great skins and isn't very well known.

Gone from the 2015 list: Glance retired

• 3 weeks later...

JocelynStone wrote:

I'm surprised no one mentioned Meghindo and Deesses - both excellent with darker skins.

Never heard of those but I will go check them out now.

Used to be Lyrical Oh was THE brand to get - but he left SL a few years back.

Elysium used to be good, but they pulled all but one of their non-white skins a year or so back.

Angel Rock is pretty much the go to places these days - and they finally support appliers for a couple of major body brands - including both Belleza and Maitreya.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.