Xbox 360 Controller Y axis settings

KatiaBlossom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm coming back to SL after an almost 2 year long break. I use an xbox controller to play with. I'm using the Firestorm viewer and I've used these settings for my controller. Everything is perfect, except the Y axis settings. When I push my right analog stick up, I want to look up towards the sky (and vice versa) With these settings, I look down to the ground when I push up.

I can't stand using that type of control setting and I can't figure out how to change it. I've played around with all the settings to change it to how I want it, but nothing has worked. Can anybody help me? I'm unable to fly at all using these settings. I just end up flying in crazy directions because my view doesn't move where I think it should lol.

---

EDIT: I answered my own question! I finally found the right tweaks to invert the camera. This link shows my updated settings for anybody who comes across this question while looking for the same answer

9 answers to this question

On 9/28/2017 at 11:40 AM, Lana207ave said:

Hey there, 

Would either of you (or anyone else) know if this controller and settings would also work with the native SL viewer? 

Thanks!

My SpaceNavigator works with almost the exact same settings in FS and Linden. So, I guess they would.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
typo
  • Like 1

Thanks Nalatas. I plan on getting a controller next week and look forward to trying it. 

It's surprising that more info about this topic is not easy to find. I would think that a fair amount of users want something more than their mouse or touchpad. 

1 hour ago, Lana207ave said:

Thanks Nalatas. I plan on getting a controller next week and look forward to trying it. 

It's surprising that more info about this topic is not easy to find. I would think that a fair amount of users want something more than their mouse or touchpad. 

Many simply do not know about other input controls. Nor do many have a need to move to something better than a mouse.

I have been asked a number of times how I get such smooth movement in videos.When told, those doing videos get a SN.

I recently got a XBox controller (1708) but I hadn't thought about using it to control the viewer. I'm playing with it for use with Gear VR.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lana207ave said:

I did some research on VR headsets this past summer. Maybe I will make that investment next year. 

Have you tried Sansar yet?  To me, I think the people it benefits the most at this point are builders. 

I have played in Sansar. It requires one simulate Rift or Vive and have a game controller it recognizes to VR working. Starting Sansar starts Steam VR. Steam VR wants to see a controller and my Gear VR (2017) controller doesn't work for Steam. I haven't gotten around to trying my XBox controller (1708) with Sansar.

Sansar is mostly for builders right now. Otherwise, it is a very pretty, fancy Flickr that takes 2 or more minutes to move from image to image. For now, it is a pretty but mostly dead world. Nothing to do but look around. 

The ability to animate things and have triggers to do things like open doors was just added about 4 weeks ago. So, not much to do.

I and some of the Sansar Lindens mostly use desktop 2D mode for meetings. One can build in 2D but, I think one is still very limited in 2D. The point is to build in VR. Until I get a VR controller working... I won't know how well they are or aren't doing.

For now, I have kind of lost interest. Another month or two I'll check in again. At some point, I'll get back into getting a controller working.

The Sansar team comes across as way short on virtual world experience. Things like group & local chat, SpaceNavigators, and many of the things we consider a basic part of any virtual world have to be explained to the developers. Even then I don't get a good feeling they understand or have even vaguely heard of some of these things. So, I have some concern that the experienced gained in SL by Lindens is nowhere near to carrying into Sansar like I was expecting.

17 hours ago, Lana207ave said:

Interesting that you think the Sansar Linden team is learning about VR simultaneously with the users. I actually don't mind that idea as long as there is noticeable improvements and continuous momentum. 

That isn't exactly what I said.

Everone is learning about VR.

I think of everyone at Linden Lab as knowing about VIRTUAL WORLDS. The Sansar programmers I've heard talk, a hand full, have not given me the impression they are familiar with VW's... not even close. I do get the impression they are very knowledgeable about the technical side and they definitely seem smart enough. 

I hope they spend lots of time talking to Torley.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.