Forum Oddity. Is it just me?

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the last few days, after I've logged into the forum, and gone into, and even posted in, a thread, and then go back to the GD thread list page (front of GD), I find I'm not logged in any more, and I have to log in again. It's every time I start a session in the forum. After that it doen't happen again in that session. Is anyone else seeing this oddity?

After a while of not doing anything, the forum logs me out, of course. That's normal. But this extra log-out at the start of sessions, after going into a thread and coming out again, is something new.

Can confirm, especially for me hitting refresh on a page after a little while appears to sign me out (it doesn't really sign me out, clicking Sign In gets the page to confirm the cookie).

Interestingly as well, all my fonts are now a mix of... it says font-family: Arial (which is a bit of an inaccurate way to do it), but my browser is - for some reason - rendering in Arial Black and Arial Narrow. Started today. //EDIT, this font bug's on me - it's affecting other websites.

This is via Chromium 44.0.2350.0 and it doesn't seem to be related to this bug.

Phil Deakins wrote:

The people in that thread are using Firefox..

Right. That's one of the reasons why I said it wasn't related. I was clarifying, in case anyone accidentally spotted the other thread.

The interesting thing to know is whether the cookie/log out issue exists on all Lithium-powered platforms, or just ours. That would determine, at least, which company we can blame.

Phil Deakins wrote:

For the last few days, after I've logged into the forum, and gone into, and even posted in, a thread, and then go back to the GD thread list page (front of GD), I find I'm not logged in any more, and I have to log in again. It's every time I start a session in the forum. After that it doen't happen again in that session. Is anyone else seeing this oddity?

After a while of not doing anything, the forum logs me out, of course. That's normal. But this extra log-out at the start of sessions, after going into a thread and coming out again, is something new.

You are not alone.  I have to log in 2 or 3 times and then it is stable for awhile. This happens on IE11, Edge and Firefox but I have not tried Chrome yet.

Happening to me with Chrome. I noticed it after a large Win 10 update, although that might be coincidental. The behaviour seems similar to what others have reported - pseudo log-outs often after using the back button on my browser. After being 'logged out', hitting sign-in often brings me back to 'logged in' status without having to enter my name & password.

Kelli May wrote:

Happening to me with Chrome. I noticed it after a large Win 10 update, although that might be coincidental.

That's a really good point, and one that I hadn't considered.

The Windows 10 Cumulative 'Anniversary Update' has been causing havoc for everyone who manages IT systems this week as it moved to mandatory status.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone seeing this issue is on a non-Windows platform or doesn't have the Anniversary Update (KB 3176929) installed. I'd also be interested in hearing whether this bug presents itself in Edge.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone seeing this issue is on a non-Windows platform or doesn't have the Anniversary Update
 installed. I'd also be interested in hearing whether this bug presents itself in Edge.

I'm on Windows 8.1 and Firefox and have exactly the same login problems as everybody else here are taking about. Not sure if that counts.

Edit: one unexpected bonus to this oddity, when I go to my profile page here now, I get a nice green dot telling me I'm online - that's always good to know and I've often wondered about that. ^_^

Just a guess, but The last time Linden Lab did something like this, two or three years ago, they were trying to block a spammer who was posting stacks of messages with links to bogus sites, really messing up the forums.  Within the past month or so, I've noticed a Friday night spammer in the Creation forums and occasionally in Answers who was doing the same thing.  I'm guessing this relog business has something to do with discouraging him.  Our annoyance is collateral damage.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.