STILL NO OPTION TO AGE VERIFY

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Classic I'm paying over 100 dollars a month in tier fees and have a premium account which is currently paid by pay pal and has also been paid by credit card - I'm in the UK and you have to be over 18 to have either...SL can determine my location by IP as I know only too well when they started charging me V.A.T. and yet this is insufficient to age verify me !!

I dont have a passport and I dont have a driving licence which are the only methods open to anyone in the UK to age verify.

Therefore Im blocked from any area which requires visitors be age verified. Its ludicrous come on Lindens get this sorted youre happy taking my dosh... you werent too worried by my age when I signed up. You easily have enough info to age verify me. Ive been complaining about this for ages and the problem is still unaddressed.

I would be happy to accept a refund on my tier or my account because a percentage of sl is closed to me.

By the way trying to submit a ticket on this is usless to. You simply get referred back to the age verification page.

I agree that it's ludicrous, I age verified in concierge beta, at that stage you could leave the passport or driving licence field blank, and it verified me on name and address. I would not give Aristotle my passport or driving licence number as I checked with the UK passport agency as to how they could verify me with that info, and they told me, they can't.

If you've had an account with SL for a number of years, you should be age verified.

Perhaps lindens can explain why it's okay to take money from me or anyone else without age verification - but why the option to close areas of sl to those who dont have (or want) the documentation to give extra info to some obscure third party company of poor standing among the sl community exists, especially in this age of identity theft, when their credit card and pay pal account should prove quite adequate as mine should......

Maelstrom,

You posted your first message Saturday. That's a weekend day .. meaning "Day Off" for the people that work at Linden Lab. It's now just after 5AM at their offices on Monday, they aren't at work yet.

Give them some time .. okay? If you haven't heard anything by Tuesday .. THEN come back and holler.

Mael,

File a support ticket and attached a picture ID and assign the ticket to me. I'll see what I can do.

I realize that you may not have a drivers license but in order to age verify, we'll need some sort of picture ID. Do you have anything like that?

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble. I know a lot of non US customers have difficulties.

Blondin

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

Classic I'm paying over 100 dollars a month in tier fees and have a premium account which is currently paid by pay pal and has also been paid by credit card - I'm in the UK and you have to be over 18 to have either...SL can determine my location by IP as I know only too well when they started charging me V.A.T. and yet this is insufficient to age verify me !!

Credit cards are not proof of age.  Banks can, and frequently do, issue credit cards to minors.  Using credit cards as proof of age is frequently a violation of merchant agreements with card processors, and this has been true since the mid-1990s.

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

I dont have a passport and I dont have a driving licence which are the only methods open to anyone in the UK to age verify.

Sounds like you get to live with the consequences of your own neglect.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Blondin.

You wrote you were going to help Mael fixing this annoying issues and you wrote as well you know a lot of non US customers are having the same. I'm one of those fellows who strive for age verifying their own accounts unsuccessfully in ages. No way to assign a Credit Card to fill my Payment Info, no PayPal... no Age Verification working process. Someway still unbelievable!

The issue is a giant serious one from my professional point of view. A disservice like this is a suicide in terms of profits making and commercial credibility. How many customers are you Lindens losing this way? How many unsatisfied adults who are used to work hard and desirous to find in SL a moment of relax and eventually fun find out they have to feel the same frustrations that have to face at work {as I guess you all do as well} even when they are supposed to  be eager to escape from that frustration?

You are customers as we all are... let's figure out you face the same difficulty trying to use Blue Mars {daring example, I know... I just named one of the greatest disappointments on mine... development slow like hell then crashed to focus on smartphone market... well... I wish they did... they chose to focus on iPhone only... so lame! One suggestion here... please consider seriously giving new life to a Second Life for smartphone ...I collapsed trying to find any solution for that! Sorry  if I got on this.}. Well... you face the same frustration about that and what do you think? What would you do in that case? I bet you would go furious about that!

So I am. I'm tired, I simply wanted to assign a payment method to finally buy all the L$ I need and feel free to go around Second Life free like a kite but that's which is a right of mine is gone and there's no way to find any solution. Payments Methods and Age Verification should be... and must be the first functional part of all your lovely product. It must work as fine as a swiss clock.

I don't know if you did exactly your own job, I don't know if fixing this is your direct responsibility but I guess not, and I believe this can't be something you have to fix on your own, this can't be all on your back. I ask you to help me with my Age Verification as you did, I guess you did, with Mael but most of all I ask you to do something more important and not for me but for all yours customers and for Second Life's sake... solicit your colleagues and whoever has responsibility of all this fundamental and vital part of SL to finally find a working solution to this issue, bringing back a Manual Age Verification process for all customers as once it was and not for only Premium accounts. And to restore as soon as possible PayPal compatibility as well. 

I posted a long comment on Answers  here  {I warmly suggest you to read that as well... these quotes from an answer I got - thank you Pawnee... - invite you to do that: "...It is a shame that the relevant Lindens probably won`t see your post as you have covered all of the frustrations that those of us not resident in US are experiencing lately."} where I just tried to figure out some bad scenarios which can make you laugh but also not... because are indeed very serious. All your new customers outside the States are having the same trouble and ignore how to defend their own rights about "good service". I meet them everyday, they feel like strangers in a strange land, without help or direction. Creating this alt I realized how hard is a noob's second life!

In that long message I've been also ironic, sarcastic mostly, about all this. Now I lost that good mood, frustration became deeper. I'm not a poor boy complaining for a broken toy, I don't need human pity. I have already years of experience in SL... some was good some was so bad, I learnt what I can expect from SL and what I cannot. Strong of that knowledge - even if disillusioned a bit as well - simply fight for my rights, also the smallest ones. My rights are rights of everyone. Even yours.

Thank you for your attention Blondin... and good luck with all the rest.

Cheers,

ENKOODABOOAOO

{The One Who Lives Alone}

Baloo Uriza wrote:

[...] Sounds like you get to live with the consequences of your own neglect.

not every country is so rabid about codifying it's citizens AND so utterly disorganized about the process as the USA. why would anyone have a drivers license if they didn't have need for one? or a passport if they have no intention of traveling internationally?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.