Animation problem

ynysmore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a problem with my 'sitting' animation.   My avatar is quite normal standing, walking, running etc but when I sit down on anything my position is too low.   On chairs and cars and my bike,I am in ride and drive position but my rear end is on the floor.   I'm told it's bmy viewer but I've deleted and downloaded new copies twice but it makes no difference.   I have also had problems with 'cloud' avatar a couple of times and had to relog to get it right.   I don't know if there's a connection.   Can anyone tell me how to fix it please?

9 answers to this question

Avatar height is problematic. The viewer makes a calculation that runs from the left foot up through the leg to the head. The sit uses a value figured for the pelvis.

Animations are made for an avatar of a specific height. Some sell animations for Small, Medium, and Large avatars, three sizes. As we don't have standards for those sizes so, most animations are a weak match for our specific avatar. Said another way... animations do NOT scale to the avatar.

For quick fixes use the recomended Hover Hight in the avatar's right-click menu. For adjustments that extend across everything your avatar does use the hover Height in the shape, but it must be a Mod-OK shape.

Besure the system "Shoe" you are wearing is correct. You can make a custom classic shoe to wear and control the heel height to adjust your avatar height. Before the right-click Hover Height this is how we tweaked avatar height to get out feet on the ground. It also affects your sit height but, it is hard to get foot-on-the-ground and butt-on-the-seat to match using this tweak.

Because of how attachements work and affect height, this is a really hard thing to get right. The Lindens revamped the system for mesh bodies, feet, and head giving us the right-click-Hover. With Bento this has been looked at and tweaked a bit. But, the Lindens admit it is never going to be perfect. Too many legacy dependancies to amke a change now. May be better in Sansar.

As Nalates and I have both said, it's the animation itself. Animations are designed for "average" avatars but every creator has a slightly different definition of what "average" is, so each one may put you at a slightly different height from the last one. I have dozens of sit animations, many of which are too high or too low, so I have adjust my hover height when they annoy me.

It is a very simple fix friend more then likely you have something called a AO AKA Action overirde. This makes your avitar walk in manor that is not the standard SL walking and sitting pose. Most sitting pose balss chars ect are set for the standard SL AO that comes with your AV when you first start in AL. So to fix this just take off or turn off your AO. Then you should be golden. :)

The others have made good suggestions about avatar shape and hover height adjustment.

But one very simple-to-fix problem happens all the time...a conflict between your AO and the sit animation built into the furniture.  When you sit on anything that contains its own sit animation, just disable your AO.  In most cases, this will solve the problem.

Thanks Lindel. However, I still have the problem of having to adjust my hover height every time I sit or stand up again! I know it's not much of a problem, and easily fixed but it's still annoying that I have to do it every time now, after 4 years in SL. I'm sure I must have altered my settings somehow but I can't find out how. I wonder if it's something to do with the latest Viewer. I also get occasional ghosting when I log in now, which is only visible to me, not others who see me. Have there been any other similar experiences, I wonder.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.