The Dress Your Man Challenge

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hate shopping, but I do like Wetherby's, because its nicely set out, got loads of choices, including some for men, and is very fair on prices. 

Oh, and I do a little cross-dressing on the side! Unfortunately Marigold isn't a unisex name - but here I am in all my male glory, having a leisurely Sunday in a robe that cost L$43, and soft snuggly slippers, which cost L$40 for two pairs (one male, one female, and they are transferable as is most of Wetherby's merchandise).

Robe.jpg

slippers.jpg

Assorted tee shirts range between 15L$ and L$35.

tees.jpg

And I have to say that when I first ready your original post, I thought it was said with fun in mind.  It can be a challenge to find good quality men's clothing that isn't aimed at hoodies and urban- "yoofs".

There are some shops in the mall that surrounds Wetherby's main store, many of which stock some really lovely items of male clothing.  Open fronted shirts in assorted colours are around L$200 each.

I really hate shopping, and I know I haven't really met your challenge, but I think you can get kitted out on this sim for less than 1000L$ if you are male, and have an assortment of great outfits to suit if you're a classy guy over 30. And I like my men in (smart) jeans and tees (smart jeans are available in Wetherby's for less than L$40 also).

http://slurl.com/secondlife/5th%20Avenue/130/253/25

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marigold Devin wrote:

I hate shopping, but I do like Wetherby's, because its nicely set out, got loads of choices, including some for men, and is very fair on prices. 

Oh, and I do a little cross-dressing on the side! Unfortunately Marigold isn't a unisex name - but here I am in all my male glory, having a leisurely Sunday in a robe that cost L$43, and soft snuggly slippers, which cost L$40 for two pairs (one male, one female, and they are transferable as is most of Wetherby's merchandise).

slippers.jpg

Very nice looking slippers.  I'm just not sure about the white socks.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

slippers.jpg

Very nice looking slippers.  I'm just not sure about the white socks.

Still laughing :smileyvery-happy:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Just to be clear, my comment had nothing to do with the sexual identity or orientation of the operator of the avatar.  Hetrosexual men are fully capable of having excellent taste and fashion sense and hetrosexual women the opposite.  It is entirely a personal trait/behavior.

Oh I totally agree. But there is a rather common misconception that guys playing female Avis are either gay or somehow twisted. I was just making the point that perhaps their main reason is they like having more options to "personalize" their avatar, or maybe they like being readily accepted into the group instead of being ostracized and suspect just because they're "wearing a guy"..

This is the second thread in which you have made assumptions around my words.  The words that you write are yours.  I will own up to mine.

Ahem .. Venus, please reread what I wrote. Carefully. I agreed with your statement (which seems to have upset you for some reason .. *scratches head*). I then went on to comment about a "common misconception". I don't quite know what "common" means in your mind, but where I live that indicates "many people". It does not mean "you". If you somehow read the word "you" in there, that error would be from your own personal interpretation and not from my words.

I made no "assumption" about anything. Lots of people are homophobic, just as lots of people are bigots against other types of differences. Furthermore it is no "assumption" that people that diss gays in public also frequently make the claim that any guy using a female avi must be a freak or sicko or some other similar slur. People that hate like that seldom hate quietly. They tend to promote their hate in very vocal ways. (I know because I live in a southern USA state and I see and hear that type of hateful bigotry every day .. even from people that live almost next door!)

My final point is based on a simple observation of human nature. Groups of people inherently accept new females rather readily, but tend to be wary of new males. A lot of the people that use Second Life are what might politely be termed "misfits". We're the type that didn't fit in with the "In Groups", that found it hard to identify with others, and that have found it hard to find acceptance in the "Real World" .. even into adulthood. So it makes perfect sense to me that someone wishing to fit in .. especially in this brand new world where so much is based on being different and yet still accepted, would take every advantage offered to fit in better. Thus, using a female avi becomes more a matter of "fitting in" than being weird or engaging in gender switching for other reasons.

Now, I'm not sure why my observations or my opinions seem to have upset you so much. I don't even understand why you feel it necessary to distance yourself from basic truths about society either. But if for some reason you don't believe that bigotry, hatred and archaic beliefs are a problem that should be addressed and refuted .. then perhaps you might wish to state your beliefs clearly .. and not accuse me of making improper assumptions about your words.

Here's mine:

men

- Hat: Fedora Deluxe Black @ { Gentelman Store } = 199L

- Top & Pants (the whole set including the pocket watch): Risk (Red) @ Phoenix Rising = 25L (kid you not!.. the store is closing so you guys better go ASAP).

- Shoes: Leather Loafers @ HOC Apparel = 50L

Total = $L274

Willow Danube wrote:

Here's mine:

men

- Hat: Fedora Deluxe Black @
{ Gentelman Store }
=
199L

- Top & Pants (the whole set including the pocket watch): Risk (Red) @
Phoenix Rising
=
25L
(kid you not!.. the store is closing so you guys better go ASAP).

- Shoes: Leather Loafers @
HOC Apparel
=
50L

Total =
$L274

Phoenix Rising is still open????????????

Ahem, they started their store closing sale if my memory serves me correctly six months ago.  I distinctly remember taking several of my Lady friends there before Xmas for some shopping sprees. 

Some very nice clothes there and at the sale prices some extremely nice deals.  But still, me wonders how long a 'store closing sale' is supposed to last.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phoenix Rising is still open????????????

Ahem, they started their store closing sale if my memory serves me correctly six months ago.  I distinctly remember taking several of my Lady friends there before Xmas for some shopping sprees. 

Some very nice clothes there and at the sale prices some extremely nice deals.  But still, me wonders how long a 'store closing sale' is supposed to last.

Yeppers, they are still closing.  Everything is 1L or 25L.   I do not know why they are closing or why it has teken them so long, but it is a good place to take newbies for now.

honerken wrote:

What are we, 4 years old? Men are intelligent enough to dress themselves in real life, why would they need a woman to do it for them in SL?

Lol..Go out into the sl world and then come back and tell me that..lol..I've seen many an avi that could use this challenge.It's not the putting on of the clothes..it's the picking and putting them together that leaves something to be desired.

Dim Sum Garden group banner (750x167).jpg

Alot of good points in this thread but I have to disagree with the ripped jeans being a no no. I mean, I wouldn't wear the awful jeans I see some people wearing that are ripped out on the ass and half way down the back of their legs and front.

Plenty of quality creators have made some tastefully ripped jeans. I like to look just a little sloppy as it gives some realism to the av. I see alot of guys running around that look way way too clean cut like they just got pressed and fitted. Looks a little out of place unless you're in a formal suit or tux.

With the 1000L challenge, Thats doable easily with the hunts going on and a few of the discount and promotional shops going up. I know alot of mens fashion threads have popped up over time, it'd be nice if we could get a thread going with a long full list of quality shops for men. I think far too many guys join SL and quickly grab w/e they see in the first few shops they find in search and never really explore beyond that for clothes.(Atleast it seems that way).

Anyways (poor quality) pic below is example of the jeans I'm talking about. I don't really see them as gaudy or a fashion mistake by any means.

215123515_001.jpg

Laughing at Rhonda - when I haven't got my glasses on, I usually see the *naughty* words too :smileysurprised:

I see the ladies are still out shopping for this particular challenge then?

If I get the chance to meet up with this nice gentleman again (see video below), I'll get him to show me where he usually shops.  He took great delight when we met in showing me a selection of his (vast) wardrobe. I thought he looked very nice (sexy - for an avatar), right down to his underwear.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I love that dance animation, Mari, very sensuous!

It had been a while since I'd gone dancing, and testing all the "new" dances was fun. Another one here - not sure what to make of it but my dance partner must have been getting a little hot, because his shirt seemed to have derendered itself!!

(Forgive the derailment - just filling in while the ladies go shopping for the men you understand :smileywink:)

Thought I'd take a crack at this...so far I have the lounge and casual outfits done...

sweats2.jpg

This would be the lounge look and cost 50L's.

Grey t-Shirt Bella's #43 from The Wild Man Hunt (Free)
Grey Sweats- ::Maschienenwerk:: (Free)
Sneakers - HOC Apparel- Hocs Lowtops - classic colors 50 Linden

The shape I am using is also from a hunt thus free, :smileyvery-happy:

and this would be my casual look and was free.

freebies_001.jpg

Jeans-Back to black Jeans & Khaki belt- Juice
Shirt- Torment Shirt Razorblade Jacket
sneakers Andy outfit sneakers - sf designs
hat - cap dark blue [KUSTOM] (all of these are from The Wild Men Hunt.)
sleeves for the tee shirt-Josephs white tee shirt freebie(shirt cuffs are mod/copy)

Be back once I get the current pricing on the formal look..: smileywink:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I win, right?
rofl.gif

...Dres

ETA... I was replying to the OP... can't this software get it right... sheesh.

I nearly swallowed my tongue when I saw that photo. That's an imaginative outfit! Just picturing Perrie/Storm/Darrius wearing that. :smileyvery-happy:

Marigold Devin wrote:

I see the ladies are still out shopping for this particular challenge then?

Marigold I tried to whisper a few posts up: it is *you* that needs to go shopping. :smileyindifferent:

I don't know how you dress your female avatar, but your male avatar needs much help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.