I found out that 2 people that comes in a famous Jazz club using a alt detector. Inst that illegal?

zarya Yuhara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

zarya Yuhara wrote:

Sadly i crashed before i could safe the chat log
:(

if you have set your preferences correctly, chat logs are saved the moment they are visible. You dont have to do anything for that.

If you suspect there is something illegal going on, report it.

You also could simply mute'/block those who annoy you.

3 answers to this question

zarya Yuhara wrote:

Sadly i crashed before i could safe the chat log
:(

if you have set your preferences correctly, chat logs are saved the moment they are visible. You dont have to do anything for that.

If you suspect there is something illegal going on, report it.

You also could simply mute'/block those who annoy you.

There is no such thing as an "alt detector", but if you have streaming media enabled -- as you would if you are dancing at Frank's -- then anyone with the right software could see what IP address you are using.  That doesn't tell them who you are, but it might give them a clue that you and your alt are at least in the same place.  If that really worries you, you could either keep streaming media turned off or you could reboot your router a few times before you log in to SL.  Most routers these days will assign a dynamic IP address randomly when you restart them, so doing that will mean that it's impossible to use the IP address to compare you and your alt.

It is not illegal or a TOS violation to capture another person's IP address, BTW.  DJ's get that information automatically, for example, because their streaming servers need to know where to send music.  Sharing that information with another person can be a TOS violation, however, so you can file an Abuse Report if you have documented information to support your suspicions.

zarya,

Here are some facts about chat logs, streaming media, IP addresses, and "alt detectors."

• Chat logs can be saved automatically, you don't have to manually copy and paste.  Set this in your Preferences.
  • The provider of a music or media stream knows your IP address (or at least, his software does.  It has to, in order to send you the stream.)  People who know your IP address can compare it with the IP address of another avatar.  If they're the same, it's possible (but not guaranteed) that the two avatars are controlled by the same person in Real Life.
  • That's how "alt detectors" work, by noting and comparing IP addresses.  This is, however, NOT a guaranteed method of detecting alts.  Two people can be assigned the same IP address by their internet service provider (at different times), and conversely, one person may have one IP address today, and a different IP address tomorrow.  Also, IP addresses can be "masked" by various methods.  The infamous alt detector "Red Zone" was notorious for producing both false positives and false negatives, and created a lot of Drama and controversy thereby. ("JackDRipper is your alt, I know it."  "No he's not!  I never heard of him!").  
  • No matter what anyone tells you, there is NO method (available to Residents, anyway) of absolutely determining who is whose alt.  Only Linden Lab really knows for sure who everybody is!
  • It is, as Rolig says, perfectly legitimate to USE an "alt detector" and/or to know another avatar's IP address.  It is NOT legitimate to share that information with anyone else, at least not without permission.  Doing so is a serious violation of the Terms of Service.
  • You can defeat all alt detectors by turning off streaming audio and streaming media in your viewer.
  • For more about how to hide your IP address, you'll need to dig into a lot of highly technical stuff.  You might start by looking here:  http://whatismyipaddress.com/hide-ip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.