Everything Is Gray!

powerblackwolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I dont post all that much, but i truly hope this is the right place to put this.

Anywho, i just got a new computer, and it is apparently a better one.

Thee old computer would run SL quickly, and efficently, with little to no problems. However, the new computer, seems to be having the problem with everything being gray. (Most things- mostly people and pictures on the walls.)

I cant remember all that stuff regarding my last computer (details, and what not), but im pretty sure this new computer should be able to run SL properly (without the gray nonsense.)

Continuing, here is the information on my new comp:

Lenovo

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-870K Quad Core Processor 3.60 GHz

Installed memory(RAM): 16.0 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based Processor

Tell me if you need anything else regarding info on this computer. Thanks to anyone who looked/attempted to help, and no rush responding.

:)

Yes that's it. Webroot is almost certainly causing the problem.

The best thing you can do is to uninstall Webroot & choose another antivirus software. Webroot is known to cause severe slow loading of mesh and textures and frequent viewer crashes. Webroot isn't compatible with HttpPipelining which all up to date viewers now use. This is a problem that Webroot needs to fix.

If you don't want to uninstall Webroot, then you will need to disable HttpPipelining in the viewer.

To do this, activate the Advanced menu in the top menu bar with CTRL+ALT+D.

Advanced -> Show Debug Settings -> HttpPipelining -> Set this to FALSE.

You should also clear cache just once after changing this setting because Webroot will have caused corrupted textures to be cached.

To clear cache:

LL viewer - Top menu bar of the viewer, Me -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Clear Cache -> Close Preferences with OK -> Relog.

Firestorm viewer - Top menu bar of the viewer, Avatar -> Preferences -> Network & Files -> Directories -> Clear cache -> Close preferences with OK button -> Relog.

Does that help?

If you disable HttpPipelining (set it to FALSE) and you change antivirus software in the future, remember to set HttpPipelining back to TRUE again. As long as you are not using a "bad" antivirus software that can't handle Pipelining, having Pipelining enabled will give you much faster mesh and texture fetches.

Disabling Pipelining in the viewer won't totally fix the problems caused by Webroot.

Webroot does also cause poor viewer performance, infact poor system performance.  It often pins disk useage at 100% when an SL viewer is running.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is to uninstall Webroot and switch to a different antivirus software.

Just choose one of the "decent" free antivirus for now until you decide which one to use.

For example Avira free from https://www.avira.com/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.