how can I keep my life$ and inventory that I purchased

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The thing is this....I am here as a graduate student (MSN-Ed) to "experience" SL as an educational venue, so my avatar and my access to the CCN estate will fade like the dew when this term is over in 4 weeks.  But I have become enamored with SL, want to stay, buy some land and learn all I can about building and scripting.  I bought L$2500 2 weeks ago so I could purchase some glasses and a stethoscope.  I paid for my L$ with PayPal so there has to be some way to transfer this to myself as a civilian resident in SL.  What is the best way to do this.  Should I go ahead and join SL, and transfer the L$ to my civilian account now?  And what about the things I bought? It is not really a transfer because I am the same person (out in the world) and only the avatar will change - which in my mind is a lot like changing clothes when I come home from work: one minute I am a nurse, then voila! I am an artist, or a musician, or a beekeeper.  I know it is "only" $10 I would be losing but that bothers me on the principal of the thing....does anybody have any ideas?

Caught between worlds,

SueB 

Yes, you can pay (give money to) any other avatar of your choosing, including your own.

Having an 'alt' (additional account) is fairly common and it's not hard to transfer money between them. Set up your 2nd account, then send a Friend Request to your first (not necessary but it makes it easier to find each other). There will be a Pay button on the Profile for your new account. Use that to send your lindens to your new account.

Check the permissions on the items you bought. They are probably no transfer, which means exactly that, no transfering between avs. But they might be transferable so it's worth a look. After the name of the item it will say something like no copy or no trans. A 'no copy' item can be given to another av. Since it can't be copied, the first av will no longer have it. Hope that isn't too confusing, it will all become second nature soon enough.

(edit: If you're not sure, just try dragging the item from your inventory onto the other avatar's profile and see what happens. It will either go to that av or you'll get a message saying you can't.)

Welcome to SL. :matte-motes-smile:

Just to clarify about owning things.  Under the SL terms of service, you really don't own them, you just got a copy and a license from the creator to use them in SL with one avatar, the avatar that bought the item. 

Under your special circumstances, you could contact the creator with this avatar and ask for another copy for your new avatar, but they are under no obligation to give you one.  However some may just to earn your loyalty so you will buy more from them.  Never hurts to ask if you do it politely and explain your special circumstance. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.