Are there any currently successful bands off the back of SL?

jaig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, 

I'm currently researching into how music is being applied in virtual reality, and am looking for an artist/band that has done well (1000+ sales) off the back of playing in SL...

Any recommendations? Or even any opinions on this would be helpful :)

Many thanks

Jaig 

Google Keiko Takamura and the Shebangs. Though I'm not sure how successful they are atm, as I don't follow them. But, I do know Keiko got her start preforming in SL to get over her stage fright. She was in a MTV documentary about it. I also know they've since released an EP and a video.

Oh, here's her blog.

...Dres

Maybe that's because your band is invisible.sorry-053.gif

But seriously, why would you think someone automatically wouldn't like your music or live act? Give yourself and your listeners more credit. At least you're playing something original. Most performers in SL rely on covering other people's stuff, which in itself isn't bad (although, let's face it, sometimes it can be...lol). It's just refreshing to see someone putting out something new and different.

If nothing else, it's great to have an outlet for your creativity. I've been a song writer/singer forever and though I've been in SL over two years now, I have yet to get up the nerve to play any shows. One of the biggest things that stops me is that I figure people want to hear people covering songs they already know, and that's just not what I do. This makes me feel like... well... why not just do it. And for that, I thank you.

thankyou.gif

...Dres

• 1 month later...

Wow! You have an amazing voice. I'm definitely going to be showing up at one of your shows, when I get the opportunity.

Personally, I enjoy hearing original music rather than all covers. Though, I suppose most people want to hear something they're familiar with; something they can possibly sing along with and really get into.

Maybe a good strategy would be to play covers and throw in some of your original stuff in between. You know... something for everyone. Just make sure to pick covers that either fit in with your style or that you can transform to fit into your style. The latter is what I would find most interesting, if it's done well... which I'm sure you could do.

The main thing is to just keep at it and have a good time.

Cheers... Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.