i need help with downloading a free sl viewer.

Haven Robbiani

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

All Second Life viewers for PC are free and all current viewers should work just fine. The problems you experiance are not caused by the viewers themself, thats for sure. Since your question doesn't really give much clues, I can only guess whats causing you problems.

- Are you useing updated and current versions of the official or the firestorm viewer? (the old phoenix viewer will not work)

- Have you made sure that your graphic card driver is matching your OS and is not outdated?

- Have you checked if your computer actually meets the minimum requirements for running SL?

• Like 5

As the others have said, whatever's causing your problems, it's not the viewer.   I use both Firestorm and the Official Viewer all the time without encountering strange graphics problems and so do most other people.

Since you say you're having bad graphics problems, it seems to me that it would be good to start by investigating your computer's graphics processing unit and settings.

Can you give us some information, please, about what your hardware is like?    Simply start up the viewer (Firestorm or the Official one) but don't bother logging in -- simply look at Help>About on the menu bar and it should give the relevent information.

Copy and paste that, please, into your original post, and someon may be able to help.

Also, what sort of timescale are we talking about?   You say that you used to use the old Phoenix, but Firestorm stopped supporting it back at the end of 2012.   What have you been using since, or are you returning to SL after a long break?  When did the problems start to appear?

• Like 2

The problem is not the viewer(s), but something to do with your computer.  The most likely suspect is your graphics card.  SL requires a powerful graphics card.  The best ones are probably the Nvidia GeForce cards, with AMD/ATI Radeon a close second.  Integrated graphics like the Intel HD series may work, especially the later versions like HD 4000 or HD 5000, but earlier versions may not work, or work poorly.

If you upgraded your computer to Windows 10, be sure that there are compatible drivers for your graphics card.  If not, Windows will fall back to the basic default driver, which is far too puny to run SL.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.