My game keeps crashing and gives me no error message

jacky Ogura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My game keeps crashing and gives me no error message, ive tried reinstalling it, clearing my cache and deleting the stuff in my apps folder, but still every 20 min orso it crashes, im not using any 3rd part viewers either, i got a monster of a pc so what could it be? 

8 answers to this question

Overheating is the first thing that springs to mind. Download and install openhardwaremonitor http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ and see what's happening inside your computer temperature wise. Maybe the fans are clogged up with dust. Blow out all the dust with compressed air and make sure fans are all operating properly.

Perhaps the thermal paste on the CPU heatsink needs redoing. If it's dried up and cracking, that can cause overheating.

Could also be your graphics card is beginning to fail and while ok in normal use is failing under the stress of running Second Life.

Anyway run some thermal tests and post back and also include your computer specs including CPU, graphics card and power unit.

no, GPU running under 40 Celsius SL (60 when playing crysis 2 on max for 3 hrs) same for my CPU, im pretty sure the case isnt overheating, unless SL is coded worse then crysis was(which was the reason the first one was insanely demanding)

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory:
4094MB RAM
Hard Drive:
500 GB + 1,5 TB

Video Card:
ATI Radeon HD 4890

Motherboard:
790FX-GD70 (AMD 790FX (RD790))

PSU

corsair: 620watt

Nice setup. From those figures, looks like overheating is not the problem then.

Could be what Peewee suggested. Also, what is CCC AI set at? AI is known to cause Second Life to crash for some setups but it's usually at startup rather than 20 minutes in but it's worth a shot so if you have it at Advanced, try Standard or disable and see what happens.

Try Kirstens viewer too, which is the viewer I use most. It's a more advanced high end viewer based on viewer 2 code and you can easily run it with your computer. You can install it side by side with the official viewer without any issues arising. Be interesting to see if you crash with it too.

I run Kirstens S21(6) and SecondLife 2.6 and don't have problems with either. You could always download a fresh copy of 2.6 and try it but I think you'll like Kirstens better especially as she is now switching development to AMD hardware on the basis that if it works for AMD, it will be fine for Intel too although she does use Nvidia graphics. I use a Core i5 750 (OC 4.1 GHz) and an ATI Radeon HD 5850 still on Catalyst 10.9 as for me it's very stable and I can use Lighting & Shadows and GI with no problems except L&S only works on Ultra and not High for some reason. She also releases new versions at a much faster pace than LL.

Niran has a guide to using the various features here (much applies to official viewer too): http://www.kirstensviewer.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=573. I see an interesting sentence at the end of part 5.5 and I wonder if that is your problem with SL 2.6. Although Crysis 2 does not require Steam, perhaps you bought and use it via Steam or maybe you use Xfire. Must say the idea that Steam and Xfire could cause vertex buffer and texture overload resulting in crashes is a new one on me.

ive tried a new instal earlier but it still happend, but with s21 it doesnt, and i got a non steam version of crysis and i do use xfire, but i think it might have to do with the settings in the CCC, ive had a simmilar problem with another game once, but im to lazy to find out what it is caus the other SL client works fine still :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.