Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Serenity30250

Exploring & Sharing World Cultures

Recommended Posts

With the internet and the multitude of movies and documentaries, we have a window to the world as presented by the world of media. In SL, people share that virtual space without really knowing  who people are or where they come from, which is part of what allows us to explore or be who or what we want to be.

As a lore keeper (librarian), I love to learn about the worlds we live in. I also feel it is a  method of building bridges to understanding others, and finding what connects us rather than what separates us. We are after all, residents of the same planet.

With that in mind, I invite you to share your culture in your own words, even it is as simple as sharing your favorite Sunday dinner recipe, or something quirky about your people. Share here as a comment, or send me a notecard inworld, where I’ll post it in the World Culture section.

Brightest blessings,

Mahara

SLURL to PCX Arts & Library

(http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fini/221/86/21)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But culture hardly matters any more. Precisely because it has always separated us into distinct global pods. And while cultural differences were considered rich and interesting, this new one-world mentality and the one-world market linked by internet and instant communications, has taken hold and is producing an impetus to level cultures. Where once we respected differences, even valued the diversity, now we don't because the pressure is to dilute differences away, so that we all feel the same and no one culture or nation should feel pride in itself or its distinctiveness, nor think itself better than any other, most especially it's a western culture. The new direction in the west is to demonstrate to the world that every culture must embrace the differences of all other cultures in such a way as to absorb them into its own and thereby dilute both. The fact that this occurring is indisputable. It is only resisted by certain non-western nations and cultures. The world is being actively moved to one e-culture. Young people all over the globe join on their phones and laptops in their wish to be alike; that is the nature of young age. Thus, each successive generation now serves to flatten cultures into oblivion. I suppose it's good to want to keep the lore but really that long history of human beings is already the repository of that lore. The only thing modern archivists can add is to record the ends of culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Serenity30250 wrote:

With the internet and the multitude of movies and documentaries, we have a window to the world as presented by the world of media.
In SL,
people share that virtual space without really knowing  who people are or where they come from
, which is part of what allows us to explore or be who or what we want to be.

As a lore keeper (librarian), I love to learn about the worlds we live in. I also feel it is a  method of building bridges to understanding others, and finding what connects us rather than what separates us. We are after all, residents of the same planet.

With that in mind, I invite you to share your culture in your own words, even it is as simple as sharing your favorite Sunday dinner recipe, or something quirky about your people. Share here as a comment, or send me a notecard inworld, where I’ll post it in the World Culture section.

Brightest blessings,

Mahara

(
)

I disagree with the highlighted statement.  Maybe people whose avatar is a 'character' don't divulge this info, but I am myself in SL and so are my close friends.  

Although some friends do role play characters as entertainment, they don't all the time and our friendship is based on their RL selves.    I know what country my close friends live in RL and in some cases even their exact location, because I communicate with some in RL too.

One of the things I like about SL is meeting peopl from all over and having friends worldwide.  We discuss our differences from time to time.   Hearing different viewpoints based on our cultures and world view broadens my mind and theirs.  Sometimes these discussions will expose beliefs we've held about each other's country or people as wrong or as stereotypes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lancewae Barrowstone wrote:

Thus, each successive generation now serves to flatten cultures into oblivion

is a whole heap of territory that you covered in your post. from which it seems you have reached this conclusion

i disagree with the conclusion

culture is never flatten into oblivion

what we do is we take our culture (culture meaning the heritage left us by our forebears) and blend this with others into new cultures that serve us in our own times. And those who come after us (our descendants) do the same in their times also

culture is ever-evolving. It always has been and always will be

i give a example:

briton + celt + angle + saxon + dane + viking + norman = english

and no doubt each of the forebears lamented the perceived loss of culture as they understood it to be

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


wherorangi wrote:

briton + celt + angle + saxon + dane + viking + norman = english


Corrections: The Normans were Danes (Vikings) who, through conquering, had settled in France (Normandy). The Celts were pretty much in Scotland, Wales and Ireland, so didn't add much, if anything, to the final 'english' result.

That might not be 100% accurate but it's a lot more accurate than your equation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


wherorangi wrote:

briton + celt + angle + saxon + dane + viking + norman = english


Corrections: The Normans
were
Danes (Vikings) who, through conquering, had settled in France (Normandy). The Celts were pretty much in Scotland, Wales and Ireland, so didn't add much, if anything, to the final 'english' result.

That might not be 100% accurate but it's a lot more accurate than your equation.

i should have said norse instead of viking. To distinguish them from the danes

the celts had a major impact on what is now England, particularly prior to the arrival of the roman empire. We should probably add roman/latin in as well, from a cultural pov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


mikka Luik wrote:

You forgot 'Swivel Eyed Loon' and now 'Corbynista' if we are listing the tribes =^^=

or more formally: gavia articulata oculos

latin you see

and apparently also: sectatus hieronymus sancti

(:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...