Why can't I turn on shadows with a brand new Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti?!

elka Lehane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I had a Nvidia GeForce 8600 for a while now and even if I could turn shadows on, they were not nice and I had a terrible 1 frame per 4 seconds haha!

So I went ahead and decided to buy myself a new piece, brand new Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Surprise, I CANNOT EVEN TURN THEM ON ANYMORE!? The option is completely greyed out. I can't even open a third party viewer at all either (Kristen's)....

I am quite paniced right now. Please someone urgently assist and let me know what's going on :(? Thanks!!

3 answers to this question

Kirsten's viewer does not yet include the Nvidia 550 Ti in the gpu_table so it's not recognising the card. Unlike Second Life's official viewer, which is likely to load at low or medium settings for new cards it doesn't recognise, the installer in Kirsten's S21(6) invokes minimum hardware requirements so it is simply not allowing the application load at all.

You should still be able to use S21(5) with no problem and perhaps you can disable this hardware check in S21(6) with the viewer parameter --noprobe but I'm not sure how Kirsten implemented the hardware check.

You should have Hardware Skinning ticked for Lighting and Shadows.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.