Questions about games of chance policy

SirCorn Alter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'd like clarification on some points about the games of chance policy.  

1. Can I create games of pure chance if they are paid for / pay out in a custom currency that is not associated with Linden dollars in any way?  (Eg, players are given an allowance based on certain factors, or can just play as much as they want for free)

2. Can I charge for a HUD / system to enable playing these games of pure chance and having an account of this custom currency?

3. Can I charge customers Linden dollars to buy this custom currency, if there is no way to translate the winnings back into Linden dollars?

2 answers to this question

You're not going to find any lawyers here.  All we can do is read the policy, like you.  I'd suggest reading the FAQ at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_Regarding_Wagering_in_Second_Life#Frequently_asked_questions carefully. 

Being a cautious person myself, my own interpretation would be that if the answer is not obvious, what you're proposing is probably not a good idea.  But that's just me.  I've been here ten years and would rather not get banned for testing a policy.

• Like 2

1. Can I create games of pure chance if they are paid for / pay out in a custom currency that is not associated with Linden dollars in any way?  (Eg, players are given an allowance based on certain factors, or can just play as much as they want for free)

You cannot create any games of pure chance that require payment and award prizes of value, no matter what "currency" you use.  Only games that rely primarily on skill are allowed.  Moreover, LL is not currently accepting new applicants for creating skill games.  If people can play for free (even if the games award prizes, that YOU pay for), then you can create your games.

2. Can I charge for a HUD / system to enable playing these games of pure chance and having an account of this custom currency?

You can charge for anything you create, but as I said above, you can't create any sort of gambling system except a free-to-play one.  Charging for a "scoring HUD" would be testing the limits of LL's policy.

3. Can I charge customers Linden dollars to buy this custom currency, if there is no way to translate the winnings back into Linden dollars?

Now this is an interesting point.  If your tokens have no value, then yes, you could create a gambling system that uses them.  And yes, you could charge $L to buy your tokens.  However, who would do so, if they cannot be redeemed?  You've just described a system in which players would pay to lose!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.