Can I abandon Linden home to apply my 512m/117p towards mainland land of same size?

Unalunaqat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I currently have a Linden home but think I understand that I also have the option to apply my premium membership allowence towards mainland property.  Is that true?

If true, how do I go about changing over?

Do I abandon my linden home then bid on mainland property that is 512m?  If I win the bid, that will automatically become my membership property?

Thanks

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Yes, that's quite true.  What you get with your Premium membership is essentially a waiver that covers the monthly land fees for a 512 sq m parcel on the Mainland.  You can use it to rent a Linden Home or you can use it instead to pay the land fees on any other 512 sq m that you own on the Mainland.  So, if you don;t want your Linden Home:

Stand in the Home

Open World >>> About Land >>> General

Click Abandon Land

and you'll be free to use that waiver on some other parcel.  You could buy one from Linden Lab at auction or you could buy direct from another resident.  As soon as you buy, your Premium waiver will be applied automatically to the first 512 sq m.  You will of course be responsible for the purchase cost of the parcel itself and for any fees for land area over 512 sq m, and your own costs of building and furnishing a home.

• Like 2

Actually auction can be cheaper than posted prices. Auctions start at 0.5L per sq meter rather than the 1L/sq meter. Also look around at a sim you like and look for abandoned land. It will say it's owned by Gov. Linden. Do a support ticket for abandoned land and LL will contact you to set it for sale to you or notify you that they've put it up for auction. 

Good Luck

• Like 1

Lots of good answers here!  Way to go, team :matte-motes-big-grin:

Una, here are a couple of things to keep in mind...

• There are many resources to find Mainland for sale.  The Auction listings are one, but also use your world Map and Search/Land and Rentals/View All Land and Rentals, and the Land forums here on the website.  The Marketplace has a Real Estate section, too.
  • The prims of a pre-built Linden Home don't count against your parcel prim limit.  When you buy your own land, you won't have that little bonus...the prims of your house WILL count against the parcel's prims.  This will make decorating your home more challenging.  You might want to think about buying a larger parcel.  If you do, be sure you understand how that "free 512" benefit works.   Let's say you buy a 1024 m2 parcel, with 238 prims.  According to the tier table, that would cost you $8.00 per month.  BUT you need to subtract out that free 512...you would actually only pay $5 per month!  (As an alternative, you can ADD the 512...you could own up to 1,024+512 = 1,536 m2, at the $8.00 per month tier level.)
  • The initial purchase price of land varies widely!  You can find Mainland parcels that are less than $L1 per m2, and others that are over $L100 per m2!  Don't buy the first parcel you find.  Spend some time searching, and landmark the ones that look promising.  Remember that you can buy all kinds of land...bombed out, poorly terraformed land surrounded by grunge builds (ugly, cheap, but good for a skybox home); oceanfront land (often beautiful, often expensive); "waterland" (land that's under water...but you can moor a boat there, or make your own land from prims); "snowland" (land with wintery terrain); grassy land, rocky land, marshy land...
--||-
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.