$15 per months for 3 Mbps guaranteed bandwidth?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see.  It's a probe to see if we'd pay extra for guaranteed bandwidth from the labs servers.

With everything involved in networking and all the ways packets can be delayed or lost entirely, I cannot see how LL could offer a guaranteed bandwidth to anyone.  And we'd still have the same mass utilization of the Isilon server cluster which everything has to come out of.  The one server cluster is hammered by every other user and all the DDOS kiddies, so even a 1.2Gbps fiberoptic line wouldn't help much.  My answer is No, I would not, because I know that such an approach would not and could not work, since the bottleneck is the overworked Asset server rather than bandwidth.

What WOULD help is a distributed asset cache model where the viewer gets an address for the sim the person is in.  And that cache server only has a copy of what is there inside the sim.  When you want to rez something that isn't on the sim, the viewer polls the cache server, the cache server gets it from the Isilon cluster, then gives it to the viewer.  This would finally fix the max number of people problem as Asset is no longer hammered by all the users all teh time -- only when something new is added to a sim.  Today, 1000 users on 1000 sims get all their data from one Asset system.  Tomorrow, 1000 users on 1000 sims should get data from 1000 cache servers, speeding up access and transmission of data.  A reasonably accomplishable change that can be incorporated into new viewers while still being compatible with current ones -- the current ones simply won't be able to call the asset cache for that sim is all. 

@Shockwave

Very interesting, but Google and others seem to solve this problem fine.

Perhap 20x 1.2 Gbps lines at LL and a bigger happier cluster would solve this without the trauma of moving to a distributed server model as you propose?

But my real question is: Would you pay $15 per month for a solution that did work, and did provide you with very fast delivery of data and textures from whatever servers?

If people won't pay for it, then there's no profit in it for LL, and SL will continue to drive away 90% of newbies (honest!).

@dom

I would be content to be required to pay the Premium fee to be required to remain inworld, if the money was used to fix the architecture instead of buying (and closing) companies like OnRez and AvatarsUnited.  Gee, imagine how many fibers to the backbone SL could have had, if they'd spent the money on actual infrastructure.  If they required all people inworld to be premiums, or even require premium to visit M or A parcels, I would be okay with that.

But since demanding that everyone in SL pay up or get out will result in an empty world, I don't see that happening. 

And since clearly my years of paying Premium were wasted, considering how LL has cost me my home, my group several islands, and they wasted their time energy and money, I'm loathe to restart my premium once again.  If LL wants money, then they need to get their heads on straight and run their entertainment business like an entertainment business rather than trying to get rid of all the "creepy customers" who are keeping them fed while trying to sell SL to someone else.  LL had lots and lots of money.  Their failure to take care of their cash cow is solely their own fault, and I'll not reward incompetence with additional cash.  When they've corrected some of their gross faults publically and formally, then I'll reward them -- not before.

And if SL dies, then it dies by LL's gross mismanagement -- not by any action of my own. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.