Alpha on rigged mesh

3DMetamorphosis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there!

I just have a question if anyone who scripts alpha is there a good solution to hiding rigged parts? I've used llSetLinkAlpha and llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast and even though this works I find alpha on rigged parts causes a jumping or flicker when hiding and showing mesh shoes or a shirt etc. I'm not much of a scripter and wonder if anyone has come across this and if there is a better way to script this? It's not a huge issue just a bit annoying.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure, it almost looks like a detachment glitch. If I detach an article of clothing on a mesh body you see those ugly jumping effects. Tends to happen at first when you zoom all the way out as well so probably something with LODs now that I think of it. Same with hiding a mesh that stays attached. It's only for a split second but don't understand why the mesh objects seem quite buggy or even unable to zoom properly into mesh objects. 

Yeah, I don't recognize the effect you're describing. If it's LoD-related, there's not much a script could do to help... but on the other hand, if you're simply setting alpha, not changing size, there really shouldn't be any change of LoD.

That's the thing, though: if you're at all concerned about Avatar Rendering Complexity, a complex mesh can get save quite a bit by switching from setting alpha level to instead use alpha-masking (PRIM_ALPHA_MODE_MASK and mask_cutoff level) to completely stop rendering hidden parts. I have no idea if that would trigger less or maybe even more of the flickering you describe, as the once hidden mesh is rendered when unhidden. It may be worth some experimenting by someone familiar with the flickering effect.

Thanks all! I'll keep messing with this. I have to try this out and a few other ideas I had. It might be that trying to skip creating LODs is my issue. I can easily do this it's just more work that I didn't want to do lol. Or I'm completely off and has something to do with what you said Qie. My only reasoning for this assumption is when I detach a mesh piece it looks very similar to that or when zooming in an out with my camera you get some very rough jumping LOD's from a distance. I was hoping the generated alogrithm on the uploader would be good enough. However that might be a different problem it's just again it looks similiar that effect when using these scripting functions to hide mesh clothing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.