We should be able to fly between islands.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

wolfshanty wrote:

Clariel Rishmal wrote:

I guess if some owners are so fixated on their privacy that they don't even want the neighbors to know their island is there, they could opt out. But I think the vast majority wouldn't have a problem with a neighbor seeing their island on the horizon and knowing there is someone else over there, building a home.

Yes, you would think so, though never underestimate the level of psychotic privacy-obsessed introverts who think that an ability to pay huge amounts of tier gives them more right to determine SL features!

Yes, people who pay huge amounts of tier have the right to help determine SL features when it comes to land they own.  If these people weren't willing to pay then there would be no SL.

Once again we have someone that doesn't understand that under the TOS (which you agreed to when you entered SL) the only place you are entitled to go is LL owned land. You are not entitled to go to any other places unless the owner who PAYS for land, mainland or private island, allows it.  The owner can also change their mind at any time and close it to everyone or on a person to person basis, for any reason or none at all.

If estate owners wish to allow the public, no matter if they fly or tp there, then they can.  But you shouldn't call people names because they prefer privacy.  Your SL is not their SL.

In the early days of private islands (they didn't exist at first) you could actually have an island that was completely private in that it didn't even show up on the map.  I shared one with two other friends and it was great.  The only way someone could get there is if one of us TP'd them or gave them a landmark.  No uninvited people dropping in at inconvenient times.  No rude people like  the OP and her boyfriend who think they can invade peoples homes, or pick up their stuff whenever they want.  It didn't mean we were anti-social or introverted.  Most nights there was a group of our friends sitting around on our beach solving the worlds problems, listening to music, dancing, swimming or jet sking and having a great time.

wolfshanty wrote:

Clariel Rishmal wrote:

I guess if some owners are so fixated on their privacy that they don't even want the neighbors to know their island is there, they could opt out. But I think the vast majority wouldn't have a problem with a neighbor seeing their island on the horizon and knowing there is someone else over there, building a home.

Yes, you would think so, though never underestimate the level of psychotic privacy-obsessed introverts who think that an ability to pay huge amounts of tier gives them more right to determine SL features!

More right to determine SL features than who? More right than you?

Anyone can determine what you call 'SL features' - even you. Get yourself some land and just do it. It's easy.

Oh wait! I just realised. You want to determine the 'SL features' on other people's land - right? With a brain like that, it's no wonder that you're a complete failure.

First off, if I PAY for a private island and I want it to be private, I don't have to let anyone on it. I'm paying for that priviledge to the tune of $300 USD unless I grandfather it then it's $200 USD a month.

Next, the "sea" areas between islands you see on the map are actually just place holders. There's not really anything there. You have sims that share a corner and you can't see one form the other. You can only see the next sim if they share a side. There is actually nothing in those blue areas on the map unless they have been set up as a sim so there is nothing there to fly over. 

wolfshanty wrote:

Clariel Rishmal wrote:

Wolfshanty,

Let me ask you a few questions about real life, where I presume you have spent some time.

Have you noticed that:

• poor people often live in crowded areas with minimal privacy?
  • the more wealthy live in suburban settings with larger private space?
  • one step up from those suburban settings are gated communities?
  • the wealthiest of all live in palatial estates gated away from the rest of the community?
  • the most incredibly rich seem to live on private islands?

If you have noticed all this, could you explain why SL should be different?

And while you are trying to think of an explanation, consider this theory I just hatched...

Psychosis, introversion, and obsession with privacy are sure-fire ways to become wealthy!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Psychosis, introversion, and obssession with privacy are sure-fire ways to become wealthy!

So this magic spell to win the lottery I paid for is bogus?

[ETA]

How about psychosis, perversion and obsession with piracy?  Arrr, Matey.  The voices be tellin' me you should heave to and prepare to have yer bottom scrapped!

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Psychosis, introversion, and obssession with privacy are sure-fire ways to become wealthy!

So this magic spell to win the lottery I paid for is bogus?

[ETA]

How about psychosis, perversion and obsession with piracy?  Arrr, Matey.  The voices be tellin' me you should heave to and prepare to have yer bottom scrapped!

I like piratey things! Port Washington has a pirate festival every year. This year I took a short sail on the tall ship Denis Sullivan, where I tried to get myself tossed overboard by teasing Captain Carlos.

And I think you either mispelled scraped or want to see me truly bottomless.

;-).

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

First off, if I PAY for a private island and I want it to be private, I don't have to let anyone on it. I'm paying for that priviledge to the tune of $300 USD unless I grandfather it then it's $200 USD a month.

Next, the "sea" areas between islands you see on the map are actually just place holders. There's not really anything there. You have sims that share a corner and you can't see one form the other. You can only see the next sim if they share a side. There is actually nothing in those blue areas on the map unless they have been set up as a sim so there is nothing there to fly over. 

Did you read the rest of the thread? This has all been covered. Phil had an excellent suggestion to keep the appearance of flying over the empty areas, and I have already said that anyone wanting to opt out of the "flyover ocean" could do just that - opt out.

There really isn't any privacy concern with my suggestion. It would just make SL seem more like a real, interconnected world, instead of a disjointed patchwork of many small worlds.

Clariel Rishmal wrote:

It would just make SL seem more like a real, interconnected world, instead of a disjointed patchwork of many small worlds.

Again, SL does not seem like a disjointed patchwork of many small worlds to me because I live on the mainland and spend most of my time there. When I do tp to a private island, then yes it is like going to a different world, but that's what the owner of that place wants. For RP reasons and so forth, they want it to a be a different world.

Clariel Rishmal wrote:

Think of how amazing it would be to fly between one island and another. No more teleportation hell. Think of all you could see, all you could explore, if we could seamlessly fly from the mainland to the island areas.

A virtual world isn't really a world when each island is isolated and separate from the others.

Tech limitations in 2009 or whatever dictated this sad fact, but now SL should liberate itself from this anchor around its neck. I believe freedom to fly over the ocean between islands would revolutionize this whole experience.

Come on LL, please consider this. How is a mass of thousands of isolated specks that you have to teleport between a "virtual world"? Sounds more like virtual fragments.

Discuss this all you wish, but there are no Lindens here so nothing will come of your idea. You can submit a suggestion to Linden Lab here: https://support.secondlife.com/suggestions/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.