Mesh release by end of May?

Chocolate Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No. He did not say that. He was asked what the deadline was for someone to make an avatar for his competition, and he said the end of May. Then a couple of us suggested in jest that that might be mesh release time. There was no further comment confirming or denying the suggestion. As far as we know the date is still "when it is ready". It is not ready yet. There are still some bugs that would not be acceptable, including at least one sim-crashing bug.

(Snap, Ash)

Of course it was mentioned! It was in a talk with Rob Humble at a big international magazine....um, Wired? They had a funny joke while eating that paper clad expensive chocolate...something about servers walking into bars lol. It was based on the new server side rendering stuff....to techie for me though. SaaS's and all that is something I lookup real quick, read 2 lines and then carry on being confused and going about my business of slowely attempting and failing while hearing many voices at me and wonder how much that gas the dude used to sufficate himself on the net was....uh, yeah...what was that again? Um, yeah. Server Side rendering is a bit tricky and hardware based decision/timeframe mixed with hiring some new guys to work on all that NVidia stuff to do with clustering etc. Not to mention Google's wireless net based solution that uses like 3 modems (if you can affod it) to get some kind of neato asset server, render server and chat server streaming going on with all those threads surging in your PC!! Cool super lag busting stuff. SL will most likely turn out to be one of the fastest online worlds...funny to think many people bash it for lag these days!

Basically the only issue with mesh has been amounts, pricing and scaling. To offer enough freedom for people to really build some amazing builds that might be complex (but only have several materials) there has to be a sort of math used to figure out scalign costs and set upload fees while not making it to low cost to flood the place with a DMCA nightmare.

I mean, that is what I got from it anyway....but maybe I am wrong....or it is april fools day...:smileywink:

Ashasekayi Ra wrote:

As far as I remember, he just said that the deadline for the falcon avatar contest would be around May. I didn't see him say Mesh would hit the main grid in May.

Well, he also said the following quoted from the meeting:

[2011/03/28 11:23] Falcon Linden: The prize will be a yet-to-be-determined number of Agni L$ (somewhere between 10k and 80k, probably, have to ask around for approval) plus my wearing it on agni for at least 3 months

He said he would wear the falcon avatar in "agni" for 3 months.  So, mesh will have to be enabled for him to wear the mesh avator.  So, it seems that the mesh date may be close to the contest date.

The only thing that you can take from Falcon's competition deadline of end of may combined with his quip that he'd like to wear it in Agni for 3 months is that the end of may date is the absolute earliest it could possibly be, not that the end of may is for real the actual release date.

If you read the transcripts, the Lab is very keen to get it released, but there are still problems.

The major problem I can see is that not everyone uses viewer 2 although viewer 2 is now slightly in the lead as being the majority viewer.

That said, maybe there could be staggered release whereby certain regions get it first and a warning could pop up for non v2 based code that mesh would not render. I dunno... just some blonde speculation....

• 1 month later...

Dado Kronfeld wrote:

how they will manage to fight with copyrights?

They won't, nor do they need to.  It's up to the copyright holder to enforce their copyright, not some arbitrary third party.  People seem to forget that it's a civil matter, not a criminal one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4712 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.